The role of an Art Director spans across theatre, advertising, publishing, fashion, film & TV, photography and even video games. In all cases, art direction provides the means by which a unifying visual identity is established and maintained, ensuring that the visual outcome communicates to the target audience. To achieve this, the art director must work with a wide range of different professionals, understanding their roles and seeking to integrate their work with the work of others.
The aim of this unit is to provide students with the opportunity to explore art direction through the development of a unified visual style in an advertising, marketing, fashion or editorial context. Through this unit, students will explore the role of the art director as well as the skills, knowledge and techniques required to perform the role.
Topics included in this unit are: understanding client needs, collaboration, communication, leadership, creative vision, resource management and creative evaluation.
- This course is offered in 60 contact hours
By the end of this unit students will be able to:
- Explore art direction within the creative industries.
- Analyse a client brief and target market to formulate an art direction strategy.
- Implement an art direction strategy, through the creation of an advertising campaign, marketing campaign, fashion spread or editorial.
- Evaluate the collaborative process of art direction and own role in that process.
Unit level: 5
Credit value: 15