The aim of this unit is to develop and provide students with a holistic understanding of construction practice and management processes. Students will investigate and research the modern construction industry, both from the practical skills embedded within the industry through to its linkage with development on-site and the connection with construction management; including roles within the industry.
The unit compares and investigates small, medium and large construction companies within the market place and how construction processes, for development, have evolved.
Students will also explore how health & safety has evolved within the industry,including how the major stakeholders, from companies to site operatives, have embedded health & safety into their preferred areas of development and careers. In addition, students will explore Building Information Modelling and how it fits into construction processes/sequences ranging from domestic to large-scale and design
and build projects.
The knowledge from this unit will provide students with the understanding of modern construction and management; the skills, management of people and projects, and how health & safety have changed the perception of the construction industry.
- This course is offered in 45 hours.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Construction and the Built Environment (Building Services Engineering - HVAC)
The Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Construction and the Built Environment (Building Services Engineering – Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC)) programme is ideally suited for facility managers, office managers, building owners and anyone interested in Facilities Management.
This qualification also serves as the next step for students completing the SBCS Matriculation to HND (Engineering) programme and are interested in pursuing the University of Greenwich's BSc (Hons) Engineering Management (Construction) and BSc (Hons) Occupational Safety, Health and Environment (Top-Up) degrees which are also offered at SBCS.
Why choose the HND in Construction and the Built Environment?
- Recognition: This is an Internationally recognized qualification, recognized in more than 70 countries worldwide.
- Final Year Entry: Graduates of this programme gain direct access to the final year of the University of Greenwich's B.Sc. (Hons) Engineering Management (Construction) degree or the University of Greenwich's B.Sc. (Hons) Occupational Safety, Health and Environment (Top-Up) degree.
- Career focused: Persons interested in Facilities Management can start with this HND. The curriculum was developed to meet the needs of the current marketplace after consultation with employers, students, and professional bodies.
- Practical hands-on training: Emphasis is placed on practical training and the application of the knowledge taught.
Why study Construction Engineering at SBCS?
- Instructors are certified, highly skilled and experienced practitioners who bring their knowledge and work experience to the classroom.
- Modern, fully equipped labs. You learn using the same equipment you will encounter in the field.
- Convenient class schedules. Work, Earn and Study at the same time. Classes are offered on a part-time basis, which allows working individuals to balance their work and educational needs.
New semester begins September, 2018. Registration opens July 2018.
- Alumni Special: Alumni and immediate family get 30% off registration fees for the first year of study i.e. three (3) semesters.
- Group Plans: Get 25% off the registration fee for the first semester for (2) persons. Rate increase by 5% for each additional person.
FEE AMOUNT NOTE SBCS Registration Fee
First semester: TT$1,000
Remaining semesters: TT($850 each)
Payable upon registration every semester (6 semesters) Tuition Fee
TT$2,200 (per 15 credit module)
TT$4,400 (per 30 credit module)
Total Tuition Fees over 2 years= TT$35,200.00 BTEC Registration Fee
£450 (one-time payment)
Payable by: March 1st 2018 BTEC Annual Fee £20 (per year) Payable each year from Year 2
Please note: All information provided is subject to change without prior notice.
Persons who have completed this HND can progress to one of the following: