Fluid mechanics is an important subject to engineers of many disciplines, not just those working directly with fluid systems. Mechanical engineers need to understand the principles of hydraulic devices and turbines (wind and water); aeronautical
engineers use these concepts to understand flight, while civil engineers concentrate on water supply, sewerage and irrigation.
This unit introduces students to the fluid mechanics techniques used in mechanical engineering. The hydraulic devices and systems that incorporate the transmission of hydraulic pressure and forces exerted by a static fluid on immersed surfaces.
Topics included in this unit are: pressure and force, submerged surfaces, fluid flow theory, aerodynamics, and hydraulic machinery.
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to work with the concept and measurement of viscosity in fluids, and the characteristics of Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluids; examine fluid flow phenomena, including energy conservation, estimation of head loss in pipes and viscous drag; and examine the operational characteristics of hydraulic machines, in particular the operating
principles of various water turbines and pumps.
- This course is offered in 45 hours.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)
The Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) programme will develop students into highly trained, competent professionals, who are able to meet the demands of employers in the various engineering sectors. This qualification also serves as the next step for students completing the SBCS Diploma in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Technology programme and are interested in pursuing an undergraduate degree programme.
Why choose the HND in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)?
- Recognition: This is an Internationally recognized qualification, recognized in more than 70 countries worldwide.
- Final Year Entry: Graduates of this programme gain direct access to the final year of an undergraduate degree BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering.
- Career focused: The curriculum was developed to meet the needs of the current marketplace after consultation with employers, students, and professional bodies.
- Practical hands-on training: Emphasis is placed on practical training and the application of the knowledge taught.
Why study Mechanical Engineering at SBCS?
- Instructors are certified, highly skilled and experienced practitioners who bring their knowledge and work experience to the classroom.
- Modern, fully equipped labs. You learn using the same equipment you will encounter in the field.
- Convenient class schedules. Work, Earn and Study at the same time. Classes are offered on a part-time basis, which allows working individuals to balance their work and educational needs.
To view our photo gallery please click here.
Schedule & Fees
The next intake for this offering will be in October 2021. Registration is currently open.
For more details on fees and courses Download the Programme Brief
FEE AMOUNT NOTE SBCS Registration Fee
TT$850 each semester
Payable upon registration every semester (for 6 semesters) Tuition Fee
TT$2,200 (per 15 credit module)
TT$4,400 (per 30 credit module)
Total Tuition Fee over 2 years: TT$35,200 BTEC Registration and Annual Fees
Payable by: Nov 30, 2021
Payment covers 2 years. Additional £20 for subsequent years.
Insurance Fee TT$180
Due upon registration
Payment covers 2 years
Please note: All information provided is subject to change without prior notice.