This unit is for learners considering a career in shipping and logistics and who wish to gain an understanding of the different elements of overseas trade law. Learners are introduced to the common legal terms used in overseas trade law. They also learn about the different types of contracts, mainly Free on Board (FOB) and Cost, Insurance and Freight (CIF), and the implications of each type of contract on the seller and buyer. Furthermore, learners are taught the different rules which govern the carriage of goods by sea and the relevance of each in the overseas trade, as well as European law.
After successfully completing this unit, the learner will:
1. Analyse the legal terminology used in overseas trade and basic contract components
2. Analyse the principle of agency
3. Evaluate differences between FOB and CIF contracts
4. Apply different national and international laws to the carriage of goods by sea
5. Analyse the principles of European legislation in relation to international trade
Assessment method: Examination
- ABMA Level 4 Diploma in Shipping and Logistics
The shipping industry is a necessary component of international trade which plays a critical role in establishing global ties between corporate entities. Businesses today rely upon skilled individuals to efficiently distribute their products in order to compete and meet customer demands.
The ABMA Level 4 Diploma in Shipping and Logistics courses are designed to enable current and prospective professionals in the Shipping Industry to make an immediate contribution in today's dynamic work environment.
Courses included in Level 4:
- Unit 1 - Mercantile and Shipping Practice
- Unit 2 - Principles of International Maritime Logistics
- Unit 3 - Principles of Shipping and Insurance Management
- Unit 4 - The Movement of Dangerous Goods
- Unit 5 - Overseas Trade Law
Schedule & Fees
The next intake is in February 2020. Registration is OPEN.
Fees for this programme are as follows:
FEE AMOUNT NOTE
SBCS Administration Fee
Payable upon registration
Cash price payable at the start of the programme OR
Credit price applies to the payment plan
ABMA Exam Fee
Payment Plans are available.
Why study at SBCS?
- Recognition: This is an Internationally recognized qualification
- Career-focused: The curriculum was developed to meet the needs of the current marketplace.
- Instructors are certified, highly skilled and experienced practitioners who bring their knowledge and work experience to the classroom.
- Modern, fully equipped labs. You learn using the same hardware/software you will encounter in the field.
- Convenient class schedules. Work, Earn and Study at the same time. Classes are offered on a part-time basis, which allows working individuals to balance their work and educational needs.