The Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Graphic Design is an internationally recognized qualification that prepares students for employment in the design sector in areas such as Web Design, Animation, Marketing, Illustration, Multimedia as well as the business aspects of Corporate and Freelance design. Pearson is the largest International awarding body approved by the UK government; it has the widest range of UK academic and vocational qualifications available to schools, colleges and organizations worldwide; operating in over 110 countries, over two million people study for Pearson qualifications in over 7000 centres annually. Graduates will be able to gain direct access to the extended final year of the BA (Hons) in Graphic Design offered by the University of Sunderland.
- Degree can be earned in 2 years and 8 months on a part-time basis.
Applicants must satisfy only one of the following:
- 18 years and over with 2 A’ Levels;
- 18 years and over with ABE Level 4 certificate or other equivalent qualification;
- 21 years and over with 2 years’ work experience and 4 O’ Levels inclusive of English.
All applicants will be required to submit a portfolio of creative work to assess their proficiency during the delivery of the Introduction to BTEC in the opening semester. Applicants without a portfolio will receive special advisement to provide further guidance regarding the requirements of the programme. Suitable items for submission will include a wide range of items of traditional, digital or experimental media including, drawing, painting, developmental and conceptual sketches, photography, sculpture, jewellery, film, websites, publications, and other relevant media or artwork. Portfolio reviews will assess originality, use of materials and media, and visual literacy. A new intake for the programme starts in October of each year.
The following are required for programme registration:
- Originals as well as three (3) copies of relevant entry qualifications;
- National I.D/Passport or Birth Certificate;
- An original job letter or CV detailing tenure of employment (where applicable);
- Proof of completion of any previously funded GATE programme(s) (where applicable);
- An SBCS Registration Form.
Payment Information The following are required for programme registration:
- SBCS Application Fee: TT$1500.00 (per semester) Application Fee payable upon registration;
- GATE Caution Fee: TT$500.00 (per unit) ;
- Pearson Registration Fee: £430 (one- time payment); This fee is valid for a 5-year period;
- Tuition Fee: $2,200.00TT (per unit);
- Total Fees: $35,200.00TT;
- Books: (approx.) $1,000.00TT (per semester).
Compulsory pre-requisite courses are offered to students FREE OF CHARGE. All SBCS Fees in Sterling Pounds must be paid via bank draft payable to “School of Business and Computer Science Ltd.”. Please include your name on the bank draft in the B/O (by order of) section.
Please the Centre for Graphic Communication at 640-7090 Ext. 1513 / 1514 / 1516 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
This programme will be assessed by a series of theoretical and practical assignments.
Aims and Objectives
- Develop an understanding of Graphic Design through the interrelation of theory and practice;
- Encourage the integration of creative technical and professional problem solving skills;
- Select, educate and develop well-rounded, self-motivated individuals with specific professional design skills;
- Enable students to study and develop an individual vision and design philosophy;
- Provide the necessary personal/interpersonal skills to enable graduates to operate efficiently within professional and social environments;
- Reflect the ethical, environmental and social consequences of design in professional work.
Government Assistance for Tuition Expenses (GATE)
The BTEC HND in Graphic Design is a fully GATE programme, in which funding is accessible to all nationals of Trinidad and Tobago. GATE covers payments for tuition only and learners are responsible for the payment of all other fees. Learners desirous of accessing this facility must subscribe to the GATE e-Service, where GATE Clearance and GATE funding can be applied for electronically. The following are the necessary steps to access and use this service:
- Obtain a GATE e-Service ID
- Apply for GATE at www.e-gate.gov.tt/gate-app/
GATE eService ID To access this service, you must firstly obtain your GATE e-Service ID by providing the required documentation to one of the GATE e-Service Registration Officers stationed at TT Connect Offices throughout Trinidad and Tobago. (Only Originals are to be presented):
- Electronic Birth Certificate (Mandatory) and;
- National ID or Passport and;
- Current and Active Email Address (for correspondence from MTEST)
GATE Application Once you have obtained your GATE e-Service ID, you will then be required to apply for GATE Clearance by visiting the following website: www.e-gate.gov.tt/gate-app/ In order to apply for GATE Clearance you will be required to upload scanned versions of:
- Birth Certificate (mandatory) and;
- National Identification Card or Trinidad and Tobago Passport;
- Marriage/Divorce Certificate (for married/divorced student);
- Deed Poll (for name change);
- Payment Slip (receipt showing proof of payment, for post-graduate student);
- Latest Result Slip / Transcript (for continuing student);
- Acceptance Letter from Institution (for student pursuing new programme) (Please ensure that you receive this document on registration with SBCS from your Advisory & Admissions Officer).
The BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Graphic Design can be earned in 2 years and 8 months on a part-time basis. The programme is divided into seven (7) semesters, with classes held on Saturdays and select weekdays. Students are required to complete a total of sixteen (16) units to be awarded certification. Additionally, there are three (3) compulsory pre-requisite units offered in tandem with the HND to better prepare students for the programme. Assessments within the programme are done through a series of theoretical and practical assignments. Semester 1.0 (Compulsory Pre-requisite Units):
- Introduction to BTEC
- I.T. Training
- Elements of Art for Graphic Design
- Visual Communication in Art & Design
- Drawing Techniques & Processes in Art & Design
- Contextual and Cultural Referencing in Art & Design
- Ideas Generation and Development in Art and Design
- Project Design, Implementation and Evaluation
- Editorial Design
- Communication with Images in Art & Design
- Professional Practice in Art & Design
- Design Method
- Design Principles
- Website Creation and Management
- 2D, 3D and Time-based Applications
- Critical Study in Art and Design
- Copywriting for Advertising
- Art, Design and Media Practice within the Digital Environment
- Personal Style in Graphic Design