This Certificate in Basic Corrosion - Understanding, Protecting, Identifying and Repairing (Steel and Concrete structures) teaches persons how to recognize corrosion within their area of responsibility and operations, and to understand its devastating potential. Learn the causes and types of corrosion, as well as how it can be identified, monitored, and controlled in different environments.
This course is suited to facilities and maintenance staff.
On completion of this course, learners will be able to:
- Define corrosion and recognize its economic, environmental and safety impact
- Recognize terms and definitions of basic electrochemistry, as well as define the processes and concepts of electrochemistry, oxidation and reduction reactions, thermodynamics, kinetics, and passivity
- Identify the characteristics of commonly-encountered corrosive environments such as atmospheric, water and other electrolytes, soil and high temperature environments
- Distinguish between engineering materials such as metals, non-metals, composites, concrete and ceramics and their relationship to corrosion control
- Discuss the various forms of corrosion, how to recognize each form, materials subject to each form, environments that promote each form and how to control each form
- Explain how corrosion can be controlled during the design process through construction, as well as process parameters, drainage, dissimilar metals, crevices, and corrosion allowance
- Give examples as to how to control corrosion through design, material selection, modification of environment, protective coatings, and cathodic and anodic protection
- Differentiate between inspection and monitoring and identify the common testing techniques for each
The duration of this course is 24 contact hours.
Why study Corrosion at SBCS?
- Instructors are certified, highly skilled and experienced practitioners who bring their knowledge and work experience to the classroom
- Course is career oriented. The curriculum was developed to meet the needs of the current marketplace
- Course includes some practical, hands-on demonstrations. Some emphasis is placed on the application of the knowledge taught
- Fully equipped labs. Available for use in practical sessions where applicable
- Convenient class schedules. Classes are offered part time, which allows working individuals to balance their work and educational needs
Schedule & Fees
- Early bird discount of 10% on tuition up to 25 May
- 25% discount on tuition to SBCS Alumni and current students
- Payment Plans are available
|Start Date||End Date||Days||Time||Cost|
|04-Jun-19||23-Jul-19||Tue||5:30pm - 8:30pm||$3,000|
All information provided is subject to change without prior notice.
Check out our 2019 Short Course Schedule.
- Champs Fleurs