The BTEC HND in Construction and the Built Environment (Building Services Engineering – Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC) programme aims to produce building services engineers who are well equipped to enter the industry in areas such as design and build, consultancy and facilities management.
The main aims of the HND in Construction and the Built Environment (Building Services Engineering – HVAC) are to:
- Prepare students for a range of technical, professional and management career disciplines in building services engineering by providing specialised studies which are directly relevant to individual occupations and professions in which students are currently working or in which they intend to seek employment.
- Enable students to make an immediate contribution in employment in the building services engineering sector.
- Provide students with flexibility, knowledge, skills, understanding and motivation as a basis for progression to graduate and postgraduate studies.
- Develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in working life.
HNDs are recognized by many higher educational providers as meeting the admission requirements to enter the final year of an undergraduate degree programme.
- 6 semesters over 2.5 years
- Champs Fleurs
To be eligible for entry to the programme you must be 18 years and over and have at least one of the following:
- 2 A’Levels
- Matriculation to HND (Engineering) programme from SBCS
- An appropriate Technician Diploma from City & Guilds, UTT, COSTAATT, NEC or an equivalent qualification
- Relevant work experience (Resume and Job letter required)
In addition to the above mentioned qualifications candidates must also have four (4) O’Levels inclusive of Mathematics and English.
To register for this programme, you must provide evidence of your entry qualifications by presenting:
- Original certificates along with 3 copies of each
- A detailed Resume and/ or Job Letter
If your entry qualifications are satisfactory you are then required to complete the following forms:
- SBCS Registration Form (for registration with SBCS)
- GATE Application and Clearance Forms (for tuition funding – nationals only)
Government Assistance for Tuition Expenses (GATE)
BTEC HND Construction and the Built Environment (Building Services Engineering) is 100% GATE funded for Nationals only. GATE Funding applies to Tuition Fees only. In order for nationals to apply for GATE, you must bring your original Birth Certificate and National ID or Passport. If you have previously applied for GATE funding, you must submit your Certificate to prove completion before applying for another GATE FUNDED programme. NEW Requirement – PROOF OF RESIDENCY As of September 2009, the Ministry of Tertiary Education and Skills Training (MTEST) has requested that all citizens of Trinidad and Tobago who wish to access the GATE Programme, must provide proof of residency in Trinidad and Tobago for at least three (3) years prior to submitting an application. Citizens must show evidence in the form of the documents listed below:
- School(s) attended;
- Name and address of employers, where applicable;
- National passport, showing travel information over the period; and
- Documents from the Board of Inland Revenue and/or the National Insurance Board, where applicable.
This programme is currently 100% GATE funded however, owing to the changes proposed by the MOE, this is subject to change.