The use of the Sun as an alternative means to provide electrical energy has always been around us. Solar Power generation has emerged as one of the most rapidly growing renewable sources of electricity. It has several advantages over other forms of electricity generation. Over the last decade the technology has developed to the point that it is now in practice and many countries have developed it and are now using solar power to provide power to the public.
This course will enable someone with the knowledge and skill to install a solar power system to provide electrical energy to a remote location or equipment or set up a system to provide an alternative energy source for homes or other buildings and what is needed to maintain them as it is expected that this area in renewable energy would grow.
The aim of this course is to present the technical subject of solar power generation for residential use in a language as non-technical as possible through a combination of hands-on labs and lectures.
Upon completion students should understand:
- Electrical energy measurement units
- Solar Panel Operation
- Converting DC to AC
- Characteristics of Photovoltaic Cells
- Installation of a Solar Power System
- Persons wishing to enter into the field of renewable energy
- Persons wishing to learn how Solar Power systems work
- Persons wishing to install and maintain Solar Power Systems
- 2 months
- Champs Fleurs, San Fernando
There is an administration fee of $150 to be paid when registering. The deadline to register is one week before the start date of the class after which a late administration fee of $175 will be charged. The credit price will apply if you wish to pay a down payment and installments. The down payment is 60% of the credit price plus the administration fee. The remainder is paid in installments before the end of the course.
- Understand the basic principles associated with a Photovoltaic System
- Understand how energy usage, efficiency and storage affect the design of Photovoltaic Systems
- Identify and size the basic components which comprise any Photovoltaic System
- Be able to design and install simple Photovoltaic Systems to meet specific energy consumption requirements