BTEC HND Graphic Design
SBCS, in collaboration with Edexcel, is pleased to offer, the BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Graphic Design, introduced in January 2010.
Edexcel is part of Pearson, the world’s leading learning company which has an educational heritage rooted in names like Longman, Heinemann and Prentice Hall. Operating in over 110 countries, over two million people study for Edexcel qualifications in over 7000 centres annually. Edexcel is the largest International awarding body approved by the UK government; it has the widest range of UK academic and vocational qualifications available to schools, colleges and organizations worldwide.
The BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Graphic Design is an internationally recognized qualification that prepares students for employment in the design sector in such areas as Graphic Design, Web design, Creative Design and Advertising/Marketing design. It gives insight into Research, Illustration, Advertising, Animation and Multimedia as well as the business of Graphic Design.
Graduates will be able to gain direct access to the extended final year of the BA (Hons) in Graphic Design offered by the University of Sunderland.
Students must satisfy only one of the following:
- 18 years and over with 2 A'Levels
- 18 years and over with ABE Level 4 certificate or other equivalent qualification
- 21 years and over with 2 years’ work experience and 4 O’Levels inclusive of English
Note: Persons who are interested in this programme but are not currently employed in the field of graphic design, will be required to submit a portfolio of recent graphic design work to assess their proficiency.
A new intake for the programme starts in October of each year.
Aims and Objectives
Some of the main objectives of the HND in Graphic Design are to:
- Develop an understanding of Graphic Design through the interrelation of theory and practice.
- Encourage the integration of creative technical and professional problem solving skills.
- Select, educate and develop well-rounded, self-motivated individuals with specific professional design skills.
- Enable students to study and develop an individual vision and design philosophy.
- Provide the necessary personal/interpersonal skills to enable graduates to operate efficiently within professional and social environments.
- Reflect the ethical, environmental and social consequences of design in professional work.
This internationally recognized qualification aims to prepare students for a career in the world of graphic design. The broad scope of this programme introduces the students to the role of the Graphic Designer as both visual communicator and visual problem solver.
Duration Of Programme
This qualification can be earned in 2 ½ years on a part-time basis. The programme is divided into six (6) semesters, with classes held on Saturdays and select weekdays.
Students are required to complete a total of sixteen (16) core modules in order to be awarded the HND. Additionally, there are three (3) compulsory co-requisite units offered alongside the HND to better prepare students for the programme.
Semester 1.0 (Co –requisite modules)
- English & Study Skills (Compulsory co-requisite module)
- I.T. Training (Compulsory co-requisite module)
- Elements of Art for Graphic Design (Compulsory co-requisite module)
- Visual Communication in Art & Design
- Ideas Generation and Development in Art & Design
- Contextual and Cultural Referencing in Art & Design
- Ideas in Context
- Professional Practice in Art & Design
- Critical Study in Art & Design
- Drawing Techniques & Processes in Art & Design
- Design Method
- Communication with Images in Art & Design
- Professional Studies in Art & Design
- Project Design, Implementation and Evaluation
- Interactive Media Web Authoring
- Animation Techniques for Interactivity in Art & Design
- Research Project
- Business Practice in Art & Design
- Management of the Design and Production Process
This programme will be assessed by a series of theoretical and practical assignments.
In order to register, students are required to submit:
- Non-refundable SBCS Application Fee: TT$1,000.00 (per semester)
- Originals as well as three (3) copies of relevant entry qualifications
- National I.D/Passport or Birth Certificate
- An original job letter detailing tenure of employment (where applicable)
- An SBCS Registration Form
- GATE Application and Clearance Forms (for nationals only)
Government Assistance for Tuition Expenses (GATE)
The BTEC HND in Graphic Design is fully GATE funded which is accessible by all nationals of Trinidad and Tobago. GATE covers payments for tuition only and students are responsible for the payment of all other fees.
Please note in order for nationals to apply for GATE, you must bring:
- Original Birth Certificate, National ID or Passport
- Proof of successful completion of any previously funded GATE programme (if applicable)
In order for nationals to apply for GATE, you must bring your original Birth Certificate or National ID or Passport.
If you have previously applied for GATE funding, you must submit your Certificate to prove completion before applying for another GATE FUNDED programme.
Proof of Residency
The Ministry of Tertiary Education and Skills Training (MTEST) requires that all citizens of Trinidad and Tobago desirous of accessing GATE funding, must provide proof of residency in Trinidad and Tobago for at least three (3) years prior to submitting an application.
Citizens must show evidence in the form of the documents listed below:
- School(s) attended
- Name and address of employers, where applicable
- National passport, showing travel information over the period; and
- Documents from the Board of Inland Revenue and/or the National Insurance Board, applicable
- Have at least 80% attendance to be eligible for GATE funding
- Not be enrolled in another programme by which they are receiving GATE funding
GATE covers 100% financing of tuition fees and students will be required to apply for GATE funding on an annual basis.
Please do not hesitate to contact the Centre for Graphic Communication at 663-7227 ext. 1513/1515/1516 or email@example.com should you require further information.