BTEC HND Graphic Design
SBCS, in collaboration with Edexcel, is pleased to offer a new and exciting programme, the BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Graphic Design which was introduced in January 2010.
Edexcel operates in over 110 countries, with more than two million people studying for qualifications in over 7000 centers annually. Edexcel International has the widest range of UK academic and vocational qualifications available to schools, colleges and organizations worldwide. Edexcel is the largest International awarding body approved by the UK government.
Graphic Design is about communicating a message visually. The internationally recognized HND in Graphic Design aims to prepare students for a career in the world of graphic design. This broad based programme introduces the students to the role of the designer as both visual communicator and problem solver. It is both practical and industry relevant with many courses being delivered in our state of the art labs.
These qualifications are becoming ever more important in today's fast-moving world. Employers are recruiting staff with additional skills who can contribute to the workplace in a meaningful way. An Edexcel qualification provides that stepping stone to the workplace.
Graduates will be able to gain direct access to the extended final year of the BA (Hons.) in Graphic Design from the University of Sunderland.
Students applying for the BTEC HND in Graphic Design must satisfy one of the following requirements:
- 18 years and over with 2 A’ Levels
- 18 years and over and completion of the ABE Diploma in Business Management or Management Information Systems or any other equivalent certificate/diploma.
- 21 years and over with relevant work experience and 4 O’Levels inclusive of English.
Persons who are interested in this programme but are not currently employed in the field of graphic design may be required to attend an entry interview. This interview will assess the applicant’s eligibility for entry into the programme.
Duration Of Programme
The programme is divided into six (6) semesters and can be completed in two and a half 2.5 years on a part time basis. Classes will be conducted on Saturdays and weekday evenings.
Government Assistance for Tuition Expenses (GATE)
BTEC HND in Graphic Design is 100% GATE funded for Nationals only.
GATE Funding applies to Tuition Fees only.
In order for nationals to apply for GATE, you must bring your original Birth Certificate or National ID or Passport.
If you have previously applied for GATE funding, you must submit your Certificate to prove completion before applying for another GATE FUNDED programme.
NEW Requirement – PROOF OF RESIDENCY
As of September 2009, the Ministry of Science, Technology and Tertiary Education (MSTTE) has requested that all citizens of Trinidad and Tobago who wish to access the GATE Programme, must provide proof of residency in Trinidad and Tobago for at least three (3) years prior to submitting an application. Citizens must show evidence in the form of the documents listed below:
- School(s) attended;
- Name and address of employers, where applicable;
- National passport, showing travel information over the period; and
- Documents from the Board of Inland Revenue and/or the National Insurance Board, where applicable.
This course will be assessed by a combination of assignments and examinations.
Students are accepted into the programme annually in the month of October.
The BTEC HND in Graphic Design comprises of sixteen (16) units and two (2) co requisite courses. They are:
English and Study Skills (compulsory pre-requisite course)
I.T Training (compulsory pre-requisite course)
- Ideas Generation and Development in Art & Design
- Visual Communication in Art and Design
- Contextual & Cultural Referencing
- Ideas in Context
- Critical Study in Art & Design
- Professional Practice in Art & Design
- Drawing Techniques and Processes in Art & Design
- Design Method
- Communicating with Images in Art & Design
- Professional Studies in Art & Design
- Project Design, Implementation and Evaluation
- Interactive Media Web Authoring
- Animation Techniques for Interactivity
- Research Project
- Business Practice in Art & Design
- Management of the Design and Production Process
All students registering for this programme are required to attend the compulsory co requisite courses: English and Study Skills and I.T. Training. These co requisite courses are designed to prepare individuals for the Diploma.
In order to register, students are required to bring:
- SBCS Application Fee: TTD $1,000.00
- Originals as well as three (3) copies of their GCE/CAPE or ABE certificate
- National I.D/Passport or Birth Certificate
Mature Entry Route: (21 years and over)
- SBCS Application fee: TTD $1,000.00
- Original job letter Original as well as three (3) copies of CXC qualifications
- National I.D/Passport or Birth Certificate
- Any other proof of entry requirements.
If your entry qualifications are satisfactory you are then required to complete the following forms:
- SBCS Registration Form (for registration with SBCS)
- GATE Application and Clearance Forms (for tuition funding - nationals only)