BTEC HND Construction and the Built Environment (Building Services Engineering)
Building Services Engineering is the engineering of the internal environment and environmental impact of a building. It essentially brings buildings and structures to life.
Building services engineers are responsible for the design, installation, operation and monitoring of the mechanical, electrical and public health systems required for the safe, comfortable and environmentally friendly operation of modern buildings. This includes:
• Water, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, access, transport and electricity;
• Safety and security systems such as fire prevention and detection, escape routes, CCTV and alarms.
Building services engineers also face the challenge of ensuring that buildings are energy efficient to reduce overuse of energy sources and by doing so helping the society reduce the depletion of natural resources and minimize environmental pollution.
HND graduates in Construction and the Built Enviroment (Building Services Engineering) can progress to the extended final year of our BSc (Hons) Occupational Safety, Health and Environment.
Students applying for the BTEC HND Construction and the Built Environment (Building Services Engineering) must satisfy one of the following requirements.
- 19 years and over and 2 A-levels.
- 19 years and over and Completion of an appropriate Technician Certificate / Diploma from City & Guilds, UTT, COSTAATT, NEC, ABE, or equivalent qualification.
- 19 years and over and relevant work experience.
In addition to the above mentioned qualifications candidates must also have four (4) O’Levels inclusive of Mathematics and English.
Persons interested in this programme and who do not hold any of the above qualifications may be interviewed and accepted, even if they are not currently employed in the field.
In order to register, you must provide evidence of your entry qualifications by presenting:
- Original certificates along with 3 copies of each
- A detailed Resume and/or Job Letter
If your entry qualifications are satisfactory you are then required to complete the following forms:
- SBCS Registration Form (for registration with SBCS)
- GATE Application and Clearance Forms (for tuition funding – nationals only)
Duration Of Programme
The programme comprises five (5) semesters and can be completed in two and a half (2 1/2) years.
Government Assistance for Tuition Expenses (GATE)
BTEC HND Construction and the Built Environment (Building Services Engineering) is 100% GATE funded for Nationals only.
GATE Funding applies to Tuition Fees only.
In order for nationals to apply for GATE, you must bring your original Birth Certificate and National ID or Passport.
If you have previously applied for GATE funding, you must submit your Certificate to prove completion before applying for another GATE FUNDED programme.
NEW Requirement – PROOF OF RESIDENCY
As of September 2009, the Ministry of Tertiary Education and Skills Training (MTEST) has requested that all citizens of Trinidad and Tobago who wish to access the GATE Programme, must provide proof of residency in Trinidad and Tobago for at least three (3) years prior to submitting an application. Citizens must show evidence in the form of the documents listed below:
- School(s) attended;
- Name and address of employers, where applicable;
- National passport, showing travel information over the period; and
- Documents from the Board of Inland Revenue and/or the National Insurance Board, where applicable.
The BTEC HND Construction and the Built Environment (Building Services Engineering) comprises of sixteen (16) units and three (3) preparatory courses. They are:
- Mathematics & Science (preparatory course)
- Study Skills, Writing Essays and Creative Thinking (preparatory course)
- Introduction to AutoCAD (preparatory course)
- Management Principles and Applications for Construction and the Built Environment
- Design Principles and Application for Construction and the Built Environment
- Applied Mathematics for Construction and the Built Environment
- Health, Safety & Welfare for the Built Environment
- Application of Scientific Principles to Building Services Engineering
- Project Management for Building Services Engineering
- Air Conditioning for Industrial and Commercial Buildings
- Electricity and Lighting for Building Services Engineering
- Building Management Sytems for Building Services Engineering
- Energy Utilisation and Efficiency for Building Services Engineering
- Electrical Protection and Transportation Installations for Non-domestic Buildings
- Thermofluids and Acoustic Criteria for Building Services Engineering
- Applied Mathematics for Complex Engineering Problems
- Group Project in the Construction Industry
- Electrical Installation for Building Services Engineering
- Research Project
This course will be assessed by a combination of assignments and examinations.