Trinidad and Tobago Publishers and Broadcasters Association in collaboration with sponsors SBCS and TSTT hosted the prize winners of the ‘World Press Freedom Day – The Role of the Media in Society Essay Competition’ at the SBCS Trincity Campus on Saturday June 12th, 2010.
Speakers at the function included TTPBA President Kiran Maharaj, SBCS Executive Director Dr. Robin Maraj, TSTT Public Relations Manager Graeme Suite, Competition Judge Sunity Maharaj and TTPBA Vice President Yaseen Rahaman. All reiterated the importance of the media and how impactful it is to our lives, and the need to be aware of the information that surrounds us. Dr. Maraj gave a delightful reflection on the work of seasoned English journalist Harold Evans and the power of real journalism. Sunity Maharaj veteran journalist and judge addressed the audience on the over 250 entries received and commented on the key factors that separated the winners from the rest was the level of authenticity and the connection made to the writers environment.
The prize winners from schools all over Trinidad and Tobago were awarded a laptop, and their respective schools each received a monetary donation. See below for full listing of the prize winners:
1. Sesh Gowrie – Sankar – Hillview College
2. Rafiya Karim – St. Augustine Girls High School
3. Aarti Maharaj – Naparima Girls High School
4. Taruna Seebaransingh – St. Joseph’s Convent
5. Antoinette Sydney – Bishop Anstey High School
6. Candice Alexander – St. Joseph’s Convent
7. Raisah K. Ali – St. Augustine Girls High School
8. Reyad Hosein – San Fernando Central Secondary
9. Anika Black – Haynes – Providence Girls Catholic Secondary
10. Shastri Ram – Presentation College