While having a long tradition the graphic design profession is changing rapidly in response to society, the media and technology. Now, more than ever, graphic designers have alternative platforms to use, each with their own constraints.
This unit aims to provide students with an opportunity to engage in an extended study of the diversity of graphic design practice and to develop an in-depth project that will allow them to begin to establish their own approach to graphic design.
Modelling their project on a professional context, students will explore the relationship between client needs, target market, and design objectives. This project will call upon the student to carry out a full project cycle, including iterative development, and multiple stages of presentation and feedback that reflects advanced graphic design practice.
By the end of this unit students will have developed a significant project that will provide them with the knowledge and understanding of the profession of graphic design as well as the skills and experience to continue their studies or enter employment, in a broad range of sectors such as editorial, branding, web, print and screen-based industries.
This unit is intended to provide centres with a framework to support students to develop in-depth knowledge and skills associated with the specialist subject. As a 30 credit unit, delivered over an extended period, centres will have the option to provide consideration of broad areas of the subject followed by greater specialisation, based on either local needs or student areas of interest.
- This course is offered in 120 contact hours
By the end of this unit students will be able to:
- Investigate the relationship between design development, final output and use.
- Develop a graphic design proposal, based on client requirements and design constraints, in response to a brief.
- Produce graphic design prototypes, based on research and analysis, in support of a design strategy.
- Present a body of graphic design work, including development and design solutions, in response to a brief.
Unit level: 5
Credit value: 30