- This course is offered in 65 hours
- On completing this course successfully you will be able to:
- Have a critical awareness of and understand the technical challenges posed by current mobile devices and wireless communications; be able to critically evaluate and select appropriate solutions.
- Appreciate the need, and have the ability, to keep up with rapid changes and new developments; be able to identify, and predict changes in current trends in mobile communications technologies and systems.
- Select and critically evaluate suitable software tools and APIs for the development of a particular mobile application and understand their strengths, scope and limitations.
- Select and use appropriate application development tools to assist in the conception, design, writing and testing of various interactive programs for mobile devices.
Characteristics of wireless, mobile applications – examples, service requirement, technical challenges.
Programming mobile applications (e.g. using J2ME CLDC and MIDP).
APIs for mobile devices (e.g. Java ME, .NET CF).
HCI issues for software design on mobile devices and user interface development.
Security and maintenance of mobile computing systems.
Data persistence on mobile devices.
Networking (e.g. HTTP, Wireless Messaging, Bluetooth).
Multimedia on mobile devices (graphics, sound, music, video, games.
Coursework – 80%
Logbook – 20%