In industry, engineers need to understand other factors which drive the business forward. The current financial state of the business will dictate what resources can be afforded to potential projects. Therefore, it is not always possible to select and use the latest technology. Most often, engineering solutions must also be business solutions which are constrained by budgets and time for example. To this end, engineering management requires understanding of business management techniques in order to advance business interests.This unit will provide the learner with the key knowledge and understanding of management skills required by engineering managers.
This unit is intended to give learners an appreciation of business organisations and the application of standard costing techniques, as well as an insight into the key functionsunderpinning financial planning and control. It also aims to expand learners’ knowledge of managerial and supervisory techniques by introducing and applying the fundamental concepts of project planning and scheduling.
Learners will understand how to justify projects using financial tools such as profitability forecasts and contribution analysis. They will also be able to develop resource and project plans in the form of Gantt charts and with the use of software. They will be able to manage work activities using methods such as Just in Time (JIT) and Statistical Process Control (SPC).
- This course is offered in 45 hours.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Automotive Engineering
The main aims of the BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Automotive Engineering are to:
- Prepare students for a range of technical, professional and management career disciplines in automotive engineering by providing them with the core knowledge, skills and techniques required.
- Enable students to make an immediate contribution in employment within the automotive engineering sector.
- Provide students with a flexible progression pathway to an undergraduate degree or further professional qualification in automotive engineering.
- Develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in working life.