- To introduce students to the concept of critical thinking and to its role in clarifying and improving understanding of complex situations.
- To equip the student with strategies and techniques to critically analyse and evaluate the work of others.
- To equip the students with techniques for drawing inferences and constructing arguments from secondary and incomplete data sources.
On completion of this course the students will be able:.
- to reflect on the significance and inter-relationship of a diverse range of sources in support of a piece of critical evaluation;
- with critical insight, to present the results of their analysis in a concise and informed manner;
- achieve all outcomes with a large degree of autonomy.
- referenced essays, debating.
The learning time for a 10 credit MSc course is approximately 100 hours, and when the course is studied in distance learning mode, this will be largely student centred. Distance learning students will receive comprehensive study materials together with supporting text books. There will also be at least one intensive study school which will adopt a problem solving approach to the subject.
Throughout the text there will be self assessment questions [SAQs], which will be linked into the student website, and there will allow the students to monitor their understanding of principles, procedure and practice as they progress through the material. The answers can be monitored by tutors and feedback given. Where practicable, SAQs will be interactive.
When delivered by Block release, the learning and teaching strategy will rely on written course guides, lectures, tutorials and seminars, supported by online learning resources.
This course comprises one (1) assignment.
There are a number of websites and e-communities which provide substantial online learning resources on critical thinking. The following are two well-known examples:
1. The Critical Thinking Community, is the website of the National Council for Excellence in Critical Thinking, an academic organisation in the United States. It provides extensive online archives, reports, books, periodical papers and other study materials on this topic.
2. Critical Thinking Web, is a Hong Kong based educational web site with numerous free online tutorials on critical thinking, logic, reasoning, creativity, and other aspects of thinking skills. http://philosophy.hku.hk/think/
- MSc. Safety, Health, Environment or Occupational Hygiene
This HSE postgraduate programme awarded by the University of Greenwich, is currently the only post-graduate programme offered locally that is accredited by the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) UK. It covers various aspects of occupational safety, health and environment and graduates are eligible to apply for graduate membership with IOSH.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO SEPTEMBER 19th, 2020. Register now and save $1000!
Classes commence the week of Oct 5th 2020. Delivered Entirely Online.
For more information on fees and payment plans DOWNLOAD THE BRIEF
At SBCS we focus on -
- Producing graduates who are capable of thinking critically, creatively and ethically.
- Graduates who are team players with the ability to communicate persuasively.
Highlights at a glance -
- 2 years in duration; 8 modules and 1 Dissertation
- IOSH Accredited - graduates can apply for graduate membership with IOSH
- Assessment criteria - coursework only, 1 Final Dissertation
- Global Recognition and Portability
- Expert Lecturers