An increasing number of business functions from advertising to e-sales and services are being conducted over the Internet. These activities require a secure, reliable and efficient network. The basis of this is the encryption of data as it travels across networks. Students need to appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of the algorithms that are used to secure data. Steganography is often used to hide information in order to defeat an organisation’s defences.
Show an understanding of algorithms and procedures: steganography, encryption, keys, digital signatures and certificates; strengths and weaknesses.
- To appreciate and apply the methodology for steganography and encryption
- Understand the security needs of networks, users and applications.
An overview of Steganography – LSB
An over view of encryption methods – symmetric, asymmetric and Public Key Infrastructure (PKI)
Encryption techniques – substitution, transposition, blocking, symmetric and asymmetric encryption;
Public Key Infrastructure: Certificates and C.A’s;
Digital Signatures and message digests, MD5, SHA, nonces;
SSL, WEP, Rainbow tables, Hashing, Birthday Paradox;
- MSc Operational Cyber Security
Students on the MSc Operational Cyber Security will learn a wide range of practical and theoretical skills. Students will develop a sound knowledge of cyber security and its application in real life situations, while extending their abilities to analyse and solve problems.
Applications would be welcomed from students with any numerate degree from a science background, a Law or a business degree. Mature applicants who demonstrate academic potential can also be assessed for eligibility.
For more information download the programme brief.
At SBCS we focus on -
- Producing graduates who are capable of thinking critically, creatively and ethically.
- Graduates that can contribute to emerging industries and societal development.
- Read what some of our graduates have to say.
Highlights at a glance -
- Can be completed in as little as 2 years
- Pursue one module per month and pay as you go
- All material provided digitally
- Blended approach to learning with a combination of self study, online sessions and workshops
The programme provides opportunities for students to achieve a knowledge and understanding of:
- Modern methods and techniques for cyber security, including penetration testing and IT auditing.
- Basic concepts of networking, developing web applications, cyber security and risk management.
- Techniques in cyber security, cyber physical security and forensics investigations.
- The modern computing environment and software tools for a cyber security professional.
- Specialised advanced topics in the area of security and its applications.
- Research tools and techniques appropriate to the cyber security domain.