In order to build effective and secure web applications, a practitioner needs to comprehensively understand the complex behaviour of web clients and web servers. The diversity of technologies that are brought together in developing web applications can be daunting. This course provides an opportunity to understand basic web development through the practical implementation of a realistic database driven web application with emphasis on secure design guidelines.
- Utilise current and emerging open source server-side and client-side technologies to create database-driven secure Web Applications.
- Describe and critically discuss the design, legal, social, ethical and professional issues involved in secure Web application development
Developing a stateful secure web application using the stateless HTTP request – response protocol
Desktop web clients such as: Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari and Internet Explorer
Web servers and server-side technologies: Apache, PHP, Session Management, Database connectivity using MySQL.
Web application development tools: EditPlus (or any IDE/a minimal Text Editor), Firefox, Chrome.
Issues and considerations in web application development: standards, maintenance, efficiency, stability, law, standards, security and privacy.
- MSc Operational Cyber Security
Students on the MSc Operational Cyber Security will learn a wide range of practical and theoretical skills. Students will develop a sound knowledge of cyber security and its application in real life situations, while extending their abilities to analyse and solve problems.
Applications would be welcomed from students with any numerate degree from a science background, a Law or a business degree. Mature applicants who demonstrate academic potential can also be assessed for eligibility.
The programme provides opportunities for students to achieve a knowledge and understanding of:
- Modern methods and techniques for cyber security, including penetration testing and IT auditing.
- Basic concepts of networking, developing web applications, cyber security and risk management.
- Techniques in cyber security, cyber physical security and forensics investigations.
- The modern computing environment and software tools for a cyber security professional.
- Specialised advanced topics in the area of security and its applications.
- Research tools and techniques appropriate to the cyber security domain.