Circuits and their characteristics are fundamental to any study of electrical and electronic engineering and therefore a good understanding is important to any engineer.
The engineer must be able to take complex electrical circuit problems, break them down into acceptable elements and apply techniques to solve or analyse the characteristics. Additionally, fine tuning of the circuits can be performed to obtain required output dynamics.
This unit draws together a logical appreciation of the topic and offers a structured approach to the development of the broad learning required at this level. Learners will begin by investigating circuit theory and the related theorems to develop solutions to electrical networks.
In learning outcome 2 the concept of an attenuator is introduced by considering a symmetrical two-port network and its characteristics. The design and testing of both T and networks is also covered.
Learning outcome 3 considers the properties of complex waveforms and Fourier analysis is used to evaluate the Fourier coefficients of a complex periodic waveform.
Finally, learning outcome 4 introduces the use of Laplace transforms as a means of solving first order differential equations used to model RL and RC networks, together with the evaluation ofcircuit responses to a step input in practical situations.
- This course is offered in 45 hours.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Automotive Engineering
The main aims of the BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Automotive Engineering are to:
- Prepare students for a range of technical, professional and management career disciplines in automotive engineering by providing them with the core knowledge, skills and techniques required.
- Enable students to make an immediate contribution in employment within the automotive engineering sector.
- Provide students with a flexible progression pathway to an undergraduate degree or further professional qualification in automotive engineering.
- Develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in working life.