This course provides students with knowledge of the current vulnerabilities and malware exploited by hackers. Students will gain an understanding of the most common vulnerabilities which will enable them to explain their implications and give recommendations for remedial action. They will also gain and understanding of how private information can be leaked through an organisation’s network.
- Understand the different types of crime scenario that may befall an information system.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of security threats and the need to achieve an appropriate level of security while allowing legitimate access.
- Show an awareness of the methodologies and software tools typically used by hackers.
The ways in which various electronic devices can be involved in a crime;
Security weaknesses and vulnerabilities in network protocols and equipment;
Web Traffic – CGI; cross site scripting, SQL injection attacks, Denial of Service attacks
The cloud environment and the implications for security of data
Introduction to Packet Sniffing;
Intruders and Malicious code – viruses; worms; Trojans; Back doors; Denial of Service attacks;
VPNs, Intrusion Detection Systems; Firewalls: Packet-filters, Application-Level, DMZ;
The insider threat
- MSc Operational Cyber Security
Students on the MSc Operational Cyber Security will learn a wide range of practical and theoretical skills. Students will develop a sound knowledge of cyber security and its application in real life situations, while extending their abilities to analyse and solve problems.
Applications would be welcomed from students with any numerate degree from a science background, a Law or a business degree. Mature applicants who demonstrate academic potential can also be assessed for eligibility.
For more information download the programme brief.
At SBCS we focus on -
- Producing graduates who are capable of thinking critically, creatively and ethically.
- Graduates that can contribute to emerging industries and societal development.
- Read what some of our graduates have to say.
Highlights at a glance -
- Can be completed in as little as 2 years
- Pursue one module per month and pay as you go
- All material provided digitally
- Blended approach to learning with a combination of self study, online sessions and workshops
The programme provides opportunities for students to achieve a knowledge and understanding of:
- Modern methods and techniques for cyber security, including penetration testing and IT auditing.
- Basic concepts of networking, developing web applications, cyber security and risk management.
- Techniques in cyber security, cyber physical security and forensics investigations.
- The modern computing environment and software tools for a cyber security professional.
- Specialised advanced topics in the area of security and its applications.
- Research tools and techniques appropriate to the cyber security domain.