The understanding of more advanced mathematics is important within an engineering curriculum to support and broaden abilities within the applied subjects at the core of all engineering programmes. Students are introduced to additional topics that will be relevant to them as they progress to the next level of their studies, advancing their knowledge of the underpinning mathematics gained in Unit 2: Engineering Maths.
The unit will prepare students to analyse and model engineering situations using mathematical techniques. Among the topics included in this unit are: number theory, complex numbers, matrix theory, linear equations, numerical integration,numerical differentiation, and graphical representations of curves for estimation within an engineering context. Finally, students will expand their knowledge of
calculus to discover how to model and solve engineering problems using first and second order differential equations.
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to use applications of number theory in practical engineering situations, solve systems of linear equations relevant to engineering applications using matrix methods, approximate solutions of contextualised examples with graphical and numerical methods, and review models of engineering systems using ordinary differential equations.
- This course is offered in 45 hours.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)
The main aims of the BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) are to:
- Prepare students for a range of technical, professional and management career disciplines in mechanical engineering by providing them with the core knowledge, skills and techniques required.
- Enable students to make an immediate contribution in employment within the mechanical engineering sector.
- Provide students with the flexibility, knowledge, skills, understanding and motivation as a basis for progression to graduate and postgraduate studies.
- Develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in working life.