An understanding of network protocols and functionality is essential for anyone intending to undertake a career in the industry. This course will provide an introduction to the major network technologies, protocols, algorithms and tools needed to support the delivery of secure network services over networks.
Demonstrate knowledge of network communication, OSI and TCP/IP model.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the TCP/IP network model with related key protocols, services and applications.
- Understand and apply the principles and standards that enable networks to communicate.
- Discuss performance issues in network environments in qualitative and quantitative terms.
LANs – shared medium, access control schemes, CSMA/CD and (briefly) flow control, error recovery.
IP and TCP operation – IP addressing issues – subnetting, routing and switching, ports and sockets, encapsulation over MAC frames.
TCP: Communication with reliability, Server process, Connection management, Flow and Congestion Control, Error recovery and acknowledgement;
UDP: Low overhead versus reliability, Datagram Reassembly, Server Processes and Requests, Client Process;
Stream Control Transport Protocol;
Routers and routing configurations – routing protocols (RIP, OSPF, BGP, EIGRP) – an example router configuration based on Cisco routers
Network Layer: IPv4 – header fields and functions; Options – route recording, timestamping, source routing; Addressing, packet forwarding & delivery, fragmentation and reassembly;
Address Resolution Protocol (ARP);
Performance issues – congestion control, transmission delays, propagation delays
- MSc Operational Cyber Security
NEXT INTAKE: TO BE DETERMINED
**This programme is currently being reviewed and restructured by the University of Greenwich. REGISTRATION IS CLOSED UNTIL THE NEW STRUCTURE AND FEES ARE CONFIRMED.
CLICK HERE to be added to our Prospective Listing to receive updates on the new structure and fees.
The MSc Operational Cyber Security, awarded by the University of Greenwich, is structured to provide a viable option to graduates of:
- Any degree from a science background, a Law or a business degree.
- Any non-computer science subject with Upper Second Class Honours or above
- University of Greenwich's BSc (Hons) Computing and Information System with Upper Second Class Honours or above
- Mature applicants who demonstrate academic potential and work experience can also be assessed for eligibility.
- Applicants with a similar level qualification may also be eligible for more information or email us at CITE@sbcs.edu.tt
Students on the MSc Operational Cyber Security will learn a wide range of practical and theoretical skills which will develop a sound knowledge of cyber security and its application in real life situations.
ALUMNI GET 10% OFF TUITION
Highlights at a glance
- Pursue one module per month and pay as you go
- Total duration - 2 years
- All material provided digitally
- Blended approach to learning with a combination of self study, online sessions and workshops
Programme Content at a glance
- Modern methods and techniques for cyber security, including penetration testing and IT auditing.
- Basic concepts of networking, developing web applications, cyber security and risk management.
- Techniques in cyber security, cyber physical security and forensics investigations.
- The modern computing environment and software tools for a cyber security professional.
- Specialised advanced topics in the area of security and its applications.
- Research tools and techniques appropriate to the cyber security domain.
At SBCS we focus on
- Producing graduates who are capable of thinking critically, creatively and ethically.
- Graduates that can contribute to emerging industries and societal development.
- Read what some of our graduates have to say.