The selection of the most appropriate materials for an engineered product and their processing is of prime importance if the product is to be fit for purpose. Engineers must thus be aware of the range of materials at their disposal. Knowledge of the structure of materials and the way in which this affects their properties is also desirable. Material properties may be determined or verified by testing and engineers should be aware of the range of standard tests and test equipment that is used and be able to interpret the test data. Materials generally need to be formed to shape, fabricated or processed in some other way, to make engineering components. The properties of the raw material can affect the choice of process and in some cases the choice of process can affect the final properties of a component. Materials also, for a variety of reasons, sometimes fail in service and engineers need to be aware of the modes and causes of such failure, as well as the preventative methods that may be used, to prolong their service life.
This unit will thus provide learners with the necessary background knowledge and understanding of the properties, testing, treatments, processing, selection, failure modes and prevention of a variety of engineering materials. In addition, this unit offers learners the opportunity to consider environmental issues related to increased productivity and sustainability that lead to less waste and to the more efficient use of energy and resources when selecting materials for particular applications.
- This course is offered in 45 hours.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Automotive Engineering
The main aims of the BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Automotive Engineering are to:
- Prepare students for a range of technical, professional and management career disciplines in automotive engineering by providing them with the core knowledge, skills and techniques required.
- Enable students to make an immediate contribution in employment within the automotive engineering sector.
- Provide students with a flexible progression pathway to an undergraduate degree or further professional qualification in automotive engineering.
- Develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in working life.