Engineers are professionals who can design, develop, manufacture, construct, operate and maintain the physical infrastructure and content of the world we live in. They do this by using their academic knowledge and practical experience, in a safe, effective and sustainable manner, even when faced with a high degree of technical complexity.
The aim of this unit is to continue building up on the knowledge gained in Unit 4: Managing a Professional Engineering Project, to provide students with the professional standards for engineers and to guide them on how to develop the range of employability skills needed by professional engineers.
Among the topics included in this unit are: engineering strategy and services delivery planning, the role of sustainability, Total Quality Management (TQM), engineering management tools, managing people and becoming a professional engineer.
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to construct a coherent engineering services delivery plan to meet the requirements of a sector-specific organisation or business. They will display personal commitment to professional standards and obligations to society, the engineering profession and the environment.
This unit is assessed by a Pearson-set assignment. The project brief will be set by the centre, based on a theme provided by Pearson (this will change annually). The theme and chosen project within the theme will enable students to explore and examine a relevant and current topical aspect of professional engineering. Students will undertake this project individually.
- This course is offered in 45 hours.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)
The main aims of the BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) are to:
- Prepare students for a range of technical, professional and management career disciplines in mechanical engineering by providing them with the core knowledge, skills and techniques required.
- Enable students to make an immediate contribution in employment within the mechanical engineering sector.
- Provide students with the flexibility, knowledge, skills, understanding and motivation as a basis for progression to graduate and postgraduate studies.
- Develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in working life.
To view our photo gallery please click here.