Completing a piece of research is an opportunity for students to showcase their intellect and talents. It integrates knowledge with different skills and abilities that may not have been assessed previously, which may include seeking out and reviewing original research papers, designing their own experimental work, solving
problems as they arise, managing time, finding new ways of analysing and presenting data, and writing an extensive report. Research can always be a challenge but one that can be immensely fulfilling, an experience that goes beyond a mark or a grade, but extends into long-lasting areas of personal and professional development.
This unit introduces students to the skills necessary to deliver a complex, independently conducted research project that fits within an engineering context.
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to deliver a complex and independent research project in line with the original objectives, explain the critical thinking skills associated with solving engineering problems, consider multiple perspectives in reaching a balanced and justifiable conclusion, and communicate effectively a research project’s outcome. Therefore, students develop skills such as
critical thinking, analysis, reasoning, interpretation, decision-making, information literacy, information and communication technology literacy, innovation, conflict resolution, creativity, collaboration, adaptability and written and oral communication.
- This course is offered in 45 hours.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)
The Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) programme will develop students into highly trained, competent professionals, who are able to meet the demands of employers in the various engineering sectors. This qualification also serves as the next step for students completing the SBCS Matriculation to HND (Engineering) programme and are interested in pursuing an undergraduate degree programme.
Why choose the HND in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)?
- Recognition: This is an Internationally recognized qualification, recognized in more than 70 countries worldwide.
- Final Year Entry: Graduates of this programme gain direct access to the final year of an undergraduate degree programme such as the University of Greenwich BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering programme.
- Career focused: The curriculum was developed to meet the needs of the current marketplace after consultation with employers, students, and professional bodies.
- Practical hands-on training: Emphasis is placed on practical training and the application of the knowledge taught.
Why study Mechanical Engineering at SBCS?
- Instructors are certified, highly skilled and experienced practitioners who bring their knowledge and work experience to the classroom.
- Modern, fully equipped labs. You learn using the same equipment you will encounter in the field.
- Convenient class schedules. Work, Earn and Study at the same time. Classes are offered on a part-time basis, which allows working individuals to balance their work and educational needs.
To view our photo gallery please click here.
Registration is currently OPEN until 10 February 2018.
- Alumni Special: Alumni and immediate family get 30% off registration fees for the first year of study i.e. three (3) semesters.
- Group Plans: Get 25% off the registration fee for the first semester for two 2 persons. Rate increases by 5% for each additional person.
FEE AMOUNT NOTE SBCS Registration Fee
First semester: TT$1,000
Remaining semesters: TT($850 each)
Payable upon registration every semester (for 6 semesters) Tuition Fee
TT$2,200 (per 15 credit module)
TT$4,400 (per 30 credit module)
Total Tuition Fee over 2 years: TT$35,200 BTEC Registration Fee
£450 (one-time payment)
Payable by: March 1st 2018 BTEC Annual Fee £20 (per year) Payable each year from Year 2
Please note: All information provided is subject to change without prior notice.