Completing a piece of research is an opportunity for students to showcase their intellect and talents. It integrates knowledge with different skills and abilities that may not have been assessed previously, which may include seeking out and reviewing original research papers, designing their own experimental work, solving
problems as they arise, managing time, finding new ways of analysing and presenting data, and writing an extensive report. Research can always be a challenge but one that can be immensely fulfilling, an experience that goes beyond a mark or a grade, but extends into long-lasting areas of personal and professional development.
This unit introduces students to the skills necessary to deliver a complex, independently conducted research project that fits within an engineering context.
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to deliver a complex and independent research project in line with the original objectives, explain the critical thinking skills associated with solving engineering problems, consider multiple perspectives in reaching a balanced and justifiable conclusion, and communicate effectively a research project’s outcome. Therefore, students develop skills such as
critical thinking, analysis, reasoning, interpretation, decision-making, information literacy, information and communication technology literacy, innovation, conflict resolution, creativity, collaboration, adaptability and written and oral communication.
- This course is offered in 45 hours.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Mechanical Engineering
The main aims of the BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Mechanical Engineering are to:
- Prepare students for a range of technical, professional and management career disciplines in mechanical engineering by providing them with the core knowledge, skills and techniques required.
- Enable students to make an immediate contribution in employment within the mechanical engineering sector.
- Provide students with the flexibility, knowledge, skills, understanding and motivation as a basis for progression to graduate and postgraduate studies.
- Develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in working life.