The aim of the course is to provide students with an in-depth knowledge and understanding of how to manage information systems security and risk assessment within organisations with a particular focus on a recognised international standard e.g. ISO17799/ISO27001. The student will also be introduced to the 8 domains of the world-wide CISSP (Certified Information System Security Professional). The real world approach will be provided with the use of scenarios and case studies.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of security threats vulnerabilities and risks and critically evaluate their impact on the business environment
- To critically evaluate and apply risk management and risk avoidance techniques.
- Understand the management of creating/maintaining a security policy to determine risk control
- Appraise methods of deployment of security controls/methods/technologies.
- Determine courses of action to solve problems in real-world security scenarios.
Issues, threats and their impact on a business environment.
Security incidents: probabilities and avoidance techniques.
Risk Management: Identification and analysis techniques as well as control strategies.
Business Continuity: Contingency planning and disaster recovery planning.
Compliance with standards/the law/regulatory framework such as Information Security Policy: ISO27001 all sections, Computer Misuse legislation (UK, USA).
Professional and ethical codes of conduct: ISACA, ACM, BCS, etc.
- MSc Operational Cyber Security
Students on the MSc Operational Cyber Security will learn a wide range of practical and theoretical skills. Students will develop a sound knowledge of cyber security and its application in real life situations, while extending their abilities to analyse and solve problems.
Applications would be welcomed from students with any numerate degree from a science background, a Law or a business degree. Mature applicants who demonstrate academic potential can also be assessed for eligibility.
The programme provides opportunities for students to achieve a knowledge and understanding of:
- Modern methods and techniques for cyber security, including penetration testing and IT auditing.
- Basic concepts of networking, developing web applications, cyber security and risk management.
- Techniques in cyber security, cyber physical security and forensics investigations.
- The modern computing environment and software tools for a cyber security professional.
- Specialised advanced topics in the area of security and its applications.
- Research tools and techniques appropriate to the cyber security domain.