In everyday life you are never too far away from some system or device that relies on both fluid mechanics and thermodynamics. From the water circulating in your home central heating radiators to the hydraulic door closer on the back of a fire door, the presence of thermofluids is constantly around us.
The aim of this unit is to provide a rational understanding of functional
thermodynamics and fluid mechanics in common industrial applications. The unit promotes a problem-based approach to solving realistic work-related quandaries such as steam plant efficiency and fluid flow capacities.
Students will examine fundamental thermodynamic principles, steam and gas turbine systems and viscosity in fluids, along with static and dynamic fluid systems. Each element of the unit will identify a variety of engineering challenges and assess how problems are overcome in real-life industrial situations.
Additionally, students will develop their perceptions of industrial thermodynamic systems, particularly those involving steam and gas turbine power. In addition, they will consider the impact of energy transfer in engineering applications along with the characteristics of fluid flow in piping systems and numerous hydraulic devices, all of which are prevalent in typical manufacturing and process facilities.
- This course is offered in 45 hours.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)
The main aims of the BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) are to:
- Prepare students for a range of technical, professional and management career disciplines in mechanical engineering by providing them with the core knowledge, skills and techniques required.
- Enable students to make an immediate contribution in employment within the mechanical engineering sector.
- Provide students with the flexibility, knowledge, skills, understanding and motivation as a basis for progression to graduate and postgraduate studies.
- Develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in working life.