The unit aims to help learners to understand the processes of systems analysis, information system modelling, and information systems project co-ordination.
It is designed for those seeking to develop a career in computing and information systems. It equips learners with the knowledge and skills relevant to understanding information system development projects in terms of common development life cycles and the role of the system analyst within the analysis and design stages of these cycles. It also helps them to explore the contribution of ‘use cases’ and data flow diagrams as well as learn about what is involved in planning and managing an information systems (IS) development project.
After successfully completing this unit, the learner will:
1. Analyse how common life cycles are used to manage information system projects
2. Evaluate the skills needed by a systems analyst
3. Apply modelling techniques to communicate the requirements for an information system
4. Apply modelling techniques to communicate the flow of information around an information
5. Evaluate planning and management tools for information system projects