The unit aims to help learners become familiar with presenting information alongside the fundamental empirical research methods and statistical analyses underpinning the creation of such information.
It is designed for those seeking to develop a career in computing and information systems. It equips learners with knowledge and skills required to present and analyse information. Specifically, they learn methods of calculating descriptive statistics, methods of illustrating data, as well as how to assess the quality of information based on the research methods and statistical analyses used to derive it.
After successfully completing this unit, the learner will:
1. Apply formulae to calculate descriptive statistics using standard notation
2. Analyse the principles of probability and statistical analysis
3. Evaluate appropriate methods for illustrating data
4. Apply statistical principles to the interpretation of the results of statistical calculations
5. Evaluate empirical research methods