The work of an engineer increasingly involves the use of powerful software modelling tools (virtual modelling). These tools allow us to predict potential manufacturing difficulties, suggest how a product or component is likely to behave in service, and undertake rapid and low cost design iteration and optimisation, to reduce costs, pre-empt failure and enhance performance.
This unit introduces students to the application of relevant Computer Aided Design (CAD) and analysis engineering tools in contemporary engineering. They will learn about standards, regulations and legal compliance within the context of engineering.
Topics included in this unit are: dimensioning and tolerances, standardisation and regulatory compliance (BS, ASTM, ISO, etc.), material properties and selection manufacturing processes, 2D, 3D, CAD, solid modelling, one-dimensional and multi-dimensional problems, meshing and boundary conditions, and the finite volume method.
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to consider how to perform computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations, develop finite element product and system models, explain the identification of faults in the application of simulation techniques and discuss the modelling method and data accuracy.
- This course is offered in 45 hours.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)
The Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) programme will develop students into highly trained, competent professionals, who are able to meet the demands of employers in the various engineering sectors. This qualification also serves as the next step for students completing the SBCS Diploma in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Technology programme and are interested in pursuing an undergraduate degree programme.
Why choose the HND in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)?
- Recognition: This is an Internationally recognized qualification, recognized in more than 70 countries worldwide.
- Final Year Entry: Graduates of this programme gain direct access to the final year of an undergraduate degree BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering (subject to approval).
- Career focused: The curriculum was developed to meet the needs of the current marketplace after consultation with employers, students, and professional bodies.
- Practical hands-on training: Emphasis is placed on practical training and the application of the knowledge taught.
Why study Mechanical Engineering at SBCS?
- Instructors are certified, highly skilled and experienced practitioners who bring their knowledge and work experience to the classroom.
- Modern, fully equipped labs. You learn using the same equipment you will encounter in the field.
- Convenient class schedules. Work, Earn and Study at the same time. Classes are offered on a part-time basis, which allows working individuals to balance their work and educational needs.
To view our photo gallery please click here.
Schedule & Fees
The next intake is in January 2020. Registration is OPEN.
Early Bird Offer valid until 14 December:
- Save 50% off the registration fee for the first semester
FEE AMOUNT NOTE SBCS Registration Fee
TT$850 each semester
Payable upon registration every semester (for 6 semesters) Tuition Fee
TT$2,200 (per 15 credit module)
TT$4,400 (per 30 credit module)
Total Tuition Fee over 2 years: TT$35,200 BTEC Registration and Annual Fees
Payable by: February 15, 2020
Payment covers 2 years. Additional £20 for subsequent years.
Insurance Fee TT$180
Due upon registration
Payment covers 2 years
Please note: All information provided is subject to change without prior notice.