The work of an engineer increasingly involves the use of powerful software modelling tools (virtual modelling). These tools allow us to predict potential manufacturing difficulties, suggest how a product or component is likely to behave in service, and undertake rapid and low cost design iteration and optimisation, to reduce costs, pre-empt failure and enhance performance.
This unit introduces students to the application of relevant Computer Aided Design (CAD) and analysis engineering tools in contemporary engineering. They will learn about standards, regulations and legal compliance within the context of engineering.
Topics included in this unit are: dimensioning and tolerances, standardisation and regulatory compliance (BS, ASTM, ISO, etc.), material properties and selection manufacturing processes, 2D, 3D, CAD, solid modelling, one-dimensional and multi-dimensional problems, meshing and boundary conditions, and the finite volume method.
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to consider how to perform computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations, develop finite element product and system models, explain the identification of faults in the application of simulation techniques and discuss the modelling method and data accuracy.
- This course is offered in 45 hours.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)
The main aims of the BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) are to:
- Prepare students for a range of technical, professional and management career disciplines in mechanical engineering by providing them with the core knowledge, skills and techniques required.
- Enable students to make an immediate contribution in employment within the mechanical engineering sector.
- Provide students with the flexibility, knowledge, skills, understanding and motivation as a basis for progression to graduate and postgraduate studies.
- Develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in working life.