In order build effective web sites the developer needs to comprehensively understand the complex behaviour of web clients and web servers and be able to apply a wide range of established technologies. The diversity of technologies that are brought together in developing web applications can be daunting to the student. This course provides an opportunity to gain confidence in web development through the practical implementation of a realistic database driven web application.
The focus of this course is biased towards appropriate use of technologies. As such this course is suitable for experienced web developers and students who are newcomers to web technologies.
- This course is offered in 75 hours
On completing this course successfully you will be able to:
- Use client-side technologies for building, usable, accessible, standard compliant web pages.
- Use server-side technologies for building secure, stateful, database driven web applications.
- Describe and critically discuss the design, engineering, legal, social, ethical and professional issues and considerations involved in web application development.
- Developing stateful web applications using the stateless HTTP request response protocol.
- Desktop and mobile web clients such as: Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, Internet Explorer and assistive technologies.
- Web servers and server-side technologies: Apache, PHP, session state and database connectivity using MySQL.
- Web application development tools: EditPlus, FTP, Firefox, Netbeans and Dreamweaver.
- Issues and considerations in web application development: standards, maintenance, efficiency, stability, usability, accessibility, law, security and privacy.
Practical Coursework – 100%
Implementing a 3-tier web application.