The Fiber Optics Installer (FOI) course is ideally suited for IT personnel, engineers, and technicians wishing to learn about basic fiber optic practices, implementation and applications.This course will provide learners with the ability to design and install fiber optic systems either in residential or commercial buildings, and is certified by the Electronics Technicians Association (ETA).
Learning outcomes include:
- Understanding the basic principles associated with a fiber optic network.
- Understanding how to choose appropriate materials and how it affects fiber systems.
- Identifying and sizing the basic components which comprise any fiber network.
- Completing a fiber circuit with all components.
The duration of this course is 45 contact hours.
Why study Fiber Optics at SBCS?
- Instructors are certified, highly skilled and experienced practitioners who bring their knowledge and work experience to the classroom
- Course is career oriented. The curriculum was developed to meet the needs of the current marketplace
- Course is over 80% practical, hands-on training. Emphasis is placed on practical training and the application of the knowledge taught
- Modern, fully equipped labs. You learn using the same equipment you will encounter in the field
- Convenient class schedules. Classes are offered on a part-time basis, which allows working individuals to balance their work and educational needs.
- Professional Recognition. This course prepares learners to become a Certified Fiber Optics Installer (C.F.O.I.) from the ETA. SBCS is a registered center for the ETA (C.F.O.I. ) examinations. Contact us if you would like to register for this exam.
SCHEDULE & FEES
- Payment Plans are available
- Cost of exam is US$150.
|Start Date||End Date||Days||Time||Cash Price|
|Start Date||End Date||Days||Time||Cash Price|
|17-Aug-20||7-Oct-20||M/W||5:30pm - 8:30pm||US$1,090 / TT$$7,100|
An e-certificate will be issued at the end.
Requirements for Online Course
- Windows OS: Windows 10 Professional (Windows 10 Home is also acceptable)
- Microsoft Office
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
Please note: All information provided is subject to change without prior notice. Registration fee is not included in the price quoted. The cost of the certification exam is not included in the price quoted above.
You may also be interested in:
- 2 month
- Champs Fleurs
Entry Requirement: Knowledge of basic science would be an asset
- Administration fee: $150 to be paid on registration.
- Registration deadline: One week before the scheduled start date of the class.
- Late Administration fee: $175 will be charged if registration is within one week of the scheduled start date of the course.
- Payment Plan: A credit price, usually 10% more than the cash price, is available if necessary. The down payment is 60% of the credit price plus the administration fee. The remainder is paid in installments before the end of the course.
To register for the online course, please follow the instructions below:
- Please complete the Online Programme Registration Form, and click submit.
Once the form has been completed, please proceed to make your payment via the following options below:
2. PayPal – Please click the ” Add to Cart” button below:
All relevant information about accessing online sessions will be sent via email within 3-5 working days.
*If you do not have a PayPal account, or a credit card, you can utilize any of the following payment options:
3. Payment of TT$1,950.00 can be made via direct deposit to the following SBCS Republic Bank Account (3501 3848 7501).
Once you have deposited the required payment, please email and attach a copy of the stamped deposit slip to Centre for Information Technology and Engineering (CITE) email@example.com informing of such.
Once CITE verifies the deposit, final registration details will be forwarded to the student.
For further information, please send an email to entre for Information Technology and Engineering (CITE) firstname.lastname@example.org or call 663-7227 extensions 1092/3/5
Please check that your laptop / tablet meets the minimum requirements for Adobe Connect web conferencing online platform services before registering by clicking here
This course prepares you to become a Certified Fibre Optics Installer (CFOI) from the ETA.
The assessments for this course are as follows:-
Measures your ability to comprehend and define fiber optics systems and components.
- Exam consists of 75 multiple choice or true/false questions
- The examinee will be allowed 2 hours to complete the written portion of the exam.
- In the event the examinee will fail the written exam, the option to retake exam at a later date is available and additional fee will apply.
Measures your ability to perform an assigned task based on a skill and proficiency level appropriate to this training.
- Must successfully complete seven classroom tasks to industry standards.
- Must successfully identify selected fiber optic system components.
- Each task takes approximately 20 minutes to complete.
Skills measured by exam CFOI
Fiber Optics as a solution concept (Introduction)
- Fiber Optic advantages and applications
- Characteristics of Singlemode and Multimode fiber
- Fiber bandwidth
- Fiber manufacturing
Identification of Cables
- Cable types and construction
- Selection criteria
Identification of Connectors and Terminations
- Temporary and permanent connections
- Connector types
- Connector loss issues
- Splicing applications
Splicing Techniques: Fusion and Mechanical
- Fusion splicing
- Mechanical splicing
Identification of Enclosures & Panels
- Fiber optic panels: distribution, patch and splice types
Plans and Specifications
- Loss Budgets
- EIATIA Standards
- Premise Networks
- Outside Plant & Methods
Identification of Test Equipment
- Power Meter and Light Sources
- Tools & Equipment
- Standards & Methods
- Fusion Splicing techniques
- Optical Loss Testing
- OTDR Operation
- Assembly a Patch Cord to EIATIA 568 B.3 Standards
- Assembly a mechanical splice that meets or exceeds EIATIA 568 B.3 Standards
- Perform a fusion splice
- Measure the bi-directional loss in a splice with a light source and power meter
- Measure the bi-directional loss in a fiber optic link with a power meter and light source
- Measure the bi-directional in a fiber optic mated connector pair with a power meter and light source
- Inspect a connector end face
- Successfully identify selected fiber optic system components
After successfully completing the exams for this course you would be an (ETA) Certified Fiber Optics Installer