From the refrigerators that we use in our homes to the colossal power stations that generate the electricity we use and provide power to industry, the significance that thermodynamics plays in the 21st century cannot be underestimated.
The aim of this unit is to build on the techniques explored in Unit 13: Fundamentals of Thermodynamics and Heat Engines, to develop further students’ skills in applied thermodynamics by investigating the relationships between theory and practice. Among the topics included in this unit are: heat pumps and refrigeration, performance of air compressors, steam power plant and gas turbines.
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to determine the performance and operation of heat pumps and refrigeration systems, review the applications and efficiency of industrial compressors, use charts and/or tables to determine steam plant parameters and characteristics, describe the operation of gas turbines and assess their efficiency.
- This course is offered in 45 hours.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)
The Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) programme will develop students into highly trained, competent professionals, who are able to meet the demands of employers in the various engineering sectors. This qualification also serves as the next step for students completing the SBCS Diploma in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Technology programme and are interested in pursuing an undergraduate degree programme.
Why choose the HND in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)?
- Recognition: This is an Internationally recognized qualification, recognized in more than 70 countries worldwide.
- Final Year Entry: Graduates of this programme gain direct access to the final year of an undergraduate degree BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering.
- Career focused: The curriculum was developed to meet the needs of the current marketplace after consultation with employers, students, and professional bodies.
- Practical hands-on training: Emphasis is placed on practical training and the application of the knowledge taught.
Why study Mechanical Engineering at SBCS?
- Instructors are certified, highly skilled and experienced practitioners who bring their knowledge and work experience to the classroom.
- Modern, fully equipped labs. You learn using the same equipment you will encounter in the field.
- Convenient class schedules. Work, Earn and Study at the same time. Classes are offered on a part-time basis, which allows working individuals to balance their work and educational needs.
To view our photo gallery please click here.
Schedule & Fees
The next intake for this offering will be in September 2023. Registration is currently open.
For more details on fees and courses Download the Programme Brief
FEE AMOUNT NOTE SBCS Registration Fee
TT$850 each semester
Payable upon registration every semester (for 6 semesters) Tuition Fee
TT$2,200 (per 15 credit module)
TT$4,400 (per 30 credit module)
Total Tuition Fee over 2 years: TT$35,200 BTEC Registration and Annual Fees
Payable by: November, 2023
Please note: All information provided is subject to change without prior notice.