Profit and loss accounts and balance sheets give insights into the financial strength of competitors but you have to know what you are looking for.
Many managers do not even know the financial position of their own organisation. To decide how much to charge for your products you have to know how much they cost, notoriously difficult to determine.
Effective decisions require an understanding of financial and management accounting techniques plus their strengths and weaknesses.
- 50 - 60 Contact Hours
- An introduction to accounting and the accounting equation.
- The profit and loss account.
- The balance sheet.
- The cash flow statement.
- Framework for financial reporting.
- Interpretation of financial statements.
- Emerging issues and managerial options in reporting.
- An introduction to cost and management accounting.
- Cost characteristics and behaviour.
- Allocating costs to jobs and processes.
- Costs for decision making.
- Standard costing.
- Accounting for divisions.
- Investment decisions.
- New developments in management accounting.
- MSc. Financial Management
The MSc. in Financial Management is targeted at finance professionals and other professionals who want to develop a career in financial management, and who require a wide-ranging understanding of financial techniques and their application - but do not require high-level mathematical understanding of finance theories.
The MSc. offers specialist study in the areas of corporate finance, investments and risk management. It will give students a relevant practical knowledge of finance that can be put into use straight away.
Careers in finance depend upon a strong understanding of the foundations of finance, investment behaviour and the dynamic nature of finance, and the MSc. will provide a strong preparation for a career in a wide variety of positions within the finance profession.
ACCA members can gain a fast-track entry through free-of-charge credit transfer and exemption when they matriculate for the MSc. in Financial Management or the MBA programme offered by Edinburgh Business School, Heriot-Watt University.
Entitlement to credit transfer or exemption will be assessed on an individual basis. A maximum of four exemptions from the nine-module programme may be available.
- Heriot-Watt University holds a Royal Charter from the UK Government.
- Read more on the Heriot-Watt University Accreditation.
- Heriot-Watt University is also reviewed by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) UK.
- Ranked 29th out of 130 UK universities in the Complete University Guide 2021.
- Named by The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide as International University of the Year 2018.
- Click here for the full list of HWU rankings.
There are two tuition intakes per year for all courses:
- January - May
- July - November
REGISTRATION PERIOD FOR THE JULY 2020 SEMESTER:
- June 27th - July 11th, 2020
- July 13th, 2020
For further information: