The earliest examples of Building Management Systems are found in large public and commercial premises. For the most part, these were used for automatic control of heating, cooling, and in some instances, security. However, Building Management System applications have broadened in scope and are becoming common in the domestic market, such as extra-low-voltage, intelligent lighting, which is already becoming the norm for many new homes (not exclusively those at
the higher end of the market).
An environment controlled by a computer can provide, not only, the optimum levels of heat, humidity and lighting for a building and its occupants, but also monitor energy use and contribute to energy conservation. Incorporating Energy Demand Management (EDM) into the Building Management System can facilitate automatic
conformance with current energy usage regulations. The advent of the smart phone and low-cost apps has opened the door to truly remote control and monitoring of a building’s environment and security. Heating and lighting can be switched on and set by the homeowner long before they reach their own front door.
The aim of this unit is to explore the rapidly growing range of services provided by Building Management System technology and assess its contribution to the renewable energy debate. There is also an opportunity to apply this research by carrying out a design of a Building Management System.
On successful completion the students will be conversant with current and emerging Building Management System technologies, will have developed the tools to evaluate the benefit of a Building Management System and apply their theoretical knowledge to a real-life installation.
- This course is offered in 45 hours.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Construction and the Built Environment (Building Services Engineering - HVAC)
The Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Construction and the Built Environment (Building Services Engineering – Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC)) programme is ideally suited for facility managers, office managers, building owners and anyone interested in Facilities Management.
This qualification also serves as the next step for students completing the SBCS Diploma in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Technology programme and are interested in pursuing the University of Greenwich's BSc (Hons) Engineering Management (Construction) and BSc (Hons) Occupational Safety, Health and Environment (Top-Up) degrees which are also offered at SBCS.
Why choose the HND in Construction and the Built Environment?
- Recognition: This is an Internationally recognized qualification, recognized in more than 70 countries worldwide.
- Final Year Entry: Graduates of this programme gain direct access to the final year of the University of Greenwich's B.Sc. (Hons) Engineering Management (Construction) degree or the University of Greenwich's B.Sc. (Hons) Occupational Safety, Health and Environment (Top-Up) degree.
- Career focused: Persons interested in Facilities Management can start with this HND. The curriculum was developed to meet the needs of the current marketplace after consultation with employers, students, and professional bodies.
- Practical hands-on training: Emphasis is placed on practical training and the application of the knowledge taught.
Why study Construction Engineering at SBCS?
- Instructors are certified, highly skilled and experienced practitioners who bring their knowledge and work experience to the classroom.
- Modern, fully equipped labs. You learn using the same equipment you will encounter in the field.
- Convenient class schedules. Work, Earn and Study at the same time. Classes are offered on a part-time basis, which allows working individuals to balance their work and educational needs.
Registration is currently OPEN. Semester starts October, 2018.
- Alumni Special: Alumni and immediate family get 30% off registration fees for the first year of study i.e. three (3) semesters.
- Group Plans: Get 25% off the registration fee for the first semester for (2) persons. Rate increase by 5% for each additional person.
FEE AMOUNT NOTE SBCS Registration Fee
First semester: TT$150
Remaining semesters: TT$850 each
Payable upon registration every semester Tuition Fee
TT$ 1,500 (Foundation Semester)
TT$2,200 (per 15 credit module)
TT$4,400 (per 30 credit module)
Total Tuition Fees over 2 years= TT$36,700 BTEC Registration Fee
£450 (one-time payment)
Payable by: November 30, 2018 BTEC Annual Fee £20 (per year) Payable each year from Year 2
Please note: All information provided is subject to change without prior notice.
Persons who have completed this HND can progress to one of the following: