The aim of this unit is to provide students with background knowledge and understanding of business, the functions of an organisation and the wider business environments in which organisations operate. Students will examine the different types of organisations (including for profit and not for profit), their size and scope (for instance, micro, SME, transnational and global) and how they operate. Students will explore the relationships that organisations have with their various stakeholders and how the wider external environments influence and shape business decision-making.
- This course is covered in 50 contact hours.
Upon successful completion of this unit, learners will be able to:
- Explain the different types, size and scope of organisations.
- Demonstrate the interrelationship of the various functions within an organisation and how they link to organisational structure.
- Use contemporary examples to demonstrate both the positive and negative influence/impact the macro environment has on business operations.
- Determine the internal strengths and weaknesses of specific businesses and explain their interrelationship with external macro factors.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Business
Acquire an Honours Degree in Business or Human Resource Management via the Pearson BTEC HND in Business route.
As we face an increasingly challenging business environment, employers are looking for professionals who can easily find solutions to an array of problems. The BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma (HND) in Business focuses on developing students as professional, self-reflecting individuals able to meet the demands of employers in the business sector and adapt to a constantly changing world. It is a professional qualification that is recognised as an accepted route into the later stages of a number of UK and foreign university degree qualifications.
This Level 5 HND is ideal for those who wish to study at an undergraduate level to pursue or advance their career in business. Successful completion of the BTEC Higher National Diploma in Business allows direct entry into:
- BA Honours degree in Business Management from the University of Sunderland*
- BA Honours degree in Human Resource Management from the University of Greenwich*
- BA Honours degree in Business Management (Marketing) from the University of Greenwich*
*These programmes can be completed in 12-18 months.
Upon completion of the above-mentioned degrees, one can then progress on to: