This unit aims to equip students with the tools to help them understand the importance of proper communication in the business environment.
- This course is offered in 50 contact hours.
Upon successful completion of this unit, learners will be able to:
- Understand the communication process
- Understand basic grammar and its importance to clear and accurate communications
- Compose all common types of written communication in a clear, complete and correct way.
- Understand the role of computers and other modern communication technologies in business communication.
- Understand the principles of effective oral communication
Understanding the communication process:
- The basic communication process is important for understanding how people communicate and the factors which may inhibit this communication.
Understand basic grammar and its importance to clear and accurate communications:
- One of the major problems in contemporary English speaking societies is the failure of people to adhere to the basic tenets of grammar. This includes, inter alia, understanding sentence structure, punctuation, subject-verb agreement and paragraphing.
Compose all common types of written communication in a clear, complete and correct way:
- Students should develop a basic understanding of the different methodologies of business communication.
Understand the role of computers and other modern communication technologies in business communication:
- Technology, via the use of desktops, laptops and tablets, has revolutionized the ways in which business communicates. It is essential that students develop an appreciation and understanding of contemporary communication including the internet and e-business.
Understand the principles of effective oral communication:
- Oral communication can be the bane of presenters who do not understand the intricacies and meanings involved in the way the human voice is used. Students will learn about the various forms of oral communication and their usage in different situations.
- Matriculation to Higher National Diploma: Business
Secure your foundation for a degree and career in Business or Human Resource Management.
The Matriculation to the Higher National Diploma (HND) in Business is a Pearson (UK) and ACTT approved Foundation programme, geared toward CSEC / CXC graduates as an alternative to CAPE or 6th Form. It provides such learners with the opportunity to pursue a higher level qualification in a Business discipline, by enabling a seamless transfer from Secondary to Post-secondary education.
Graduates of the Matriculation programme will progress directly to Pearson's Higher National Diploma (HND) in Business and then onto the final year of an undergraduate degree; either the BA (Hons) Human Resource Management or BA (Hons) Business Management (Marketing) from the University of Greenwich, or BA (Hons) Business Management from the University of Sunderland.