This course aims to enhance students' understanding of the principles underlying a range of engineering applications dealing with engineering dynamics and thermofluid systems.
Students’ will be able to:
- Independently and objectively analyse thermofluid systems in order to assess their performance.
- Design from first principles a range of psychometric and heat transfer systems.
- Predict failure load and stresses in components due to a range of failure criteria including buckling.
- Evaluate the dynamic characteristics of rotating systems and predict instability.
- Model and analyse various dynamic systems and predict their response to numerous forms of disturbance.
This course will be assessed by:
- A final written examination – 100%
- BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering (Top-Up)
The BEng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering awarded by the University of Sunderland, is structured to provide a viable final year, top-up option to graduates of the Higher National Diploma (HND) in Mechanical Engineering programme offered at SBCS.
Students with only a CSEC or CXC qualification are required to first complete our Diploma in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Technology and then our Higher National Diploma (HND) in Mechanical Engineering programmes before entering the final year of this degree.
This programme was designed to allow students to top-up their existing qualification to a full honors degree in one year. Some of the topics covered include Dynamics and Thermofluids, Mechanical Design and Materials Selection, Manufacturing Systems Design and Professional Engineering Management. These topics serve to provide students with the necessary skills and knowledge required by professional engineers.
Why study Mechanical Engineering at SBCS?
- Recognition: This is an Internationally recognized qualification, awarded by the University of Sunderland.
- Career focused: The curriculum was developed to meet the needs of the current marketplace for qualified, competent mechanical engineers.
- Graduates: We have produced graduates who are capable of thinking critically, creatively and ethically. They are currently practicing professionals, employed throughout the oil and gas, utilities and manufacturing sectors.
- Convenient class schedules: Work, Earn and Study at the same time. Classes are offered on a part-time basis, which allows working individuals to balance their work and educational needs.
- Instructors are certified, highly skilled and experienced practitioners who bring their knowledge and work experience to the classroom.
- Duration: Programme can be completed in one (1) year.
The next intake for this offering will be in September 2022. Registration is currently open.