The tremendous possibilities of the techniques and processes developed by engineers can only be realised by great design. Design turns an idea into a useful artefact, the problem into a solution, or something ugly and inefficient into an elegant, desirable and cost effective everyday object. Without a sound understanding of the design process the engineer works in isolation without the links between theory and the needs of the end user.
The aim of this unit is to introduce students to the methodical steps that engineers use in creating functional products and processes; from a design brief to the work, and the stages involved in identifying and justifying a solution to a given engineering need. Among the topics included in this unit are: Gantt charts and critical path analysis,
stakeholder requirements, market analysis, design process management, modelling and prototyping, manufacturability, reliability life cycle, safety and risk, management, calculations, drawings and concepts and ergonomics.
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to prepare an engineering design specification that satisfies stakeholders’ requirements, implement best practice when analysing and evaluating possible design solutions, prepare a written technical design report, and present their finalised design to a customer or audience.
- This course is offered in 45 hours.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
The main aims of the HND in Electrical and Electronic Engineering are to:
- Prepare students for a range of technical, professional and management career disciplines in Electrical and Electronic Engineering by providing specialised studies which are directly relevant to individual occupations and professions in which students are currently working or in which they intend to seek employment.
- Enable students to make an immediate contribution in employment in the Electrical and Electronics sector.
- Provide students with flexibility, knowledge, skills, understanding and motivation as a basis for progression to graduate and postgraduate studies.
- Develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in working life.
Graduates of this HND Programme with a good grade profile will be able to access directly the final year of the University of Greenwich's BEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering Technology at SBCS, Champs Fleurs campus.