Thermodynamics is one of the most common applications of science in our lives, and it is so much a part of our daily life that it is often taken for granted. For example, when driving your car you know that the fuel you put into the tank is converted into energy to propel the vehicle, and the heat produced by burning gas when cooking will produce steam which can lift the lid of the pan. These are examples of thermodynamics, which is the study of the dynamics and behaviour of
energy and its manifestations.
This unit introduces students to the principles and concepts of thermodynamics and its application in modern engineering.
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to investigate fundamental thermodynamic systems and their properties, apply the steady flow energy equation to plant equipment, examine the principles of heat transfer to industrial applications, and determine the performance of internal combustion engines.
- This course is offered in 45 hours.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)
The Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) programme will develop students into highly trained, competent professionals, who are able to meet the demands of employers in the various engineering sectors. This qualification also serves as the next step for students completing the SBCS Diploma in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Technology programme and are interested in pursuing an undergraduate degree programme.
Why choose the HND in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)?
- Recognition: This is an Internationally recognized qualification, recognized in more than 70 countries worldwide.
- Final Year Entry: Graduates of this programme gain direct access to the final year of an undergraduate degree BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering (subject to approval).
- Career focused: The curriculum was developed to meet the needs of the current marketplace after consultation with employers, students, and professional bodies.
- Practical hands-on training: Emphasis is placed on practical training and the application of the knowledge taught.
Why study Mechanical Engineering at SBCS?
- Instructors are certified, highly skilled and experienced practitioners who bring their knowledge and work experience to the classroom.
- Modern, fully equipped labs. You learn using the same equipment you will encounter in the field.
- Convenient class schedules. Work, Earn and Study at the same time. Classes are offered on a part-time basis, which allows working individuals to balance their work and educational needs.
To view our photo gallery please click here.
Schedule & Fees
The next intake is in October 2020. Registration is OPEN.
FEE AMOUNT NOTE SBCS Registration Fee
TT$850 each semester
Payable upon registration every semester (for 6 semesters) Tuition Fee
TT$2,200 (per 15 credit module)
TT$4,400 (per 30 credit module)
Total Tuition Fee over 2 years: TT$35,200 BTEC Registration and Annual Fees
Payable by: Nov 30, 2020
Payment covers 2 years. Additional £20 for subsequent years.
Insurance Fee TT$180
Due upon registration
Payment covers 2 years
Please note: All information provided is subject to change without prior notice.