Almost every aspect of our lives relies on electrical powered, electronically controlled machines and devices, many of them digital in format. To properly understand how to make the most efficient use of these devices in a safe and economical way, it is vital to have a thorough knowledge of the underlying principles on which they rely.
This unit builds on the preliminary techniques and skills introduced in Unit 20 Electrical, Electronic and Digital Principles.
The emphasis in this unit will be in developing a structured approach to the analysis of AC single-phase and three-phase powered circuitry. This will help students to arrive at the solution in the most efficient way, with the greatest probability of it being correct. In addition, students will be introduced to the expanding use of computers, using specialised software to solve electrical, electronic and digital circuits. This will allow students to develop the necessary confidence and competence in the four key areas of mathematical techniques, circuit analysis, circuit simulation and laboratory practice.
Successful completion of this unit will enable students to cope with increasingly complex problems and prepare them for the challenge of Level 6 academic programmes.
- This course is offered in 45 hours.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering (Electrical and Electronic Engineering)
The main aims of the HND in Engineering (Electrical and Electronic Engineering) are to:
- Prepare students for a range of technical, professional and management career disciplines in Electrical and Electronic Engineering by providing specialised studies which are directly relevant to individual occupations and professions in which students are currently working or in which they intend to seek employment.
- Enable students to make an immediate contribution in employment in the Electrical and Electronics sector.
- Provide students with flexibility, knowledge, skills, understanding and motivation as a basis for progression to graduate and postgraduate studies.
- Develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in working life.
Graduates of this HND Programme with a good grade profile will be able to access directly the final year of the University of Greenwich's BEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering Technology at SBCS, Champs Fleurs campus.