The role of a public health engineer is a very important and diverse one in the construction process. They design systems for water supply and sanitation that help buildings work better for occupants, owners and the environment. This may vary from a drainage system in a hospital to a water supply system in a high rise apartment building.
This unit introduces students to the principles of public health engineering. Students will develop a broad understanding of domestic hot and cold water services, sanitation and rainwater systems that serve large commercial and complex multi-zone buildings.
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to calculate, design and select appropriate pipework systems and plant room equipment for hot and cold water services, sanitation and rainwater systems for large commercial buildings.
- This course is offered in 45 hours.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Construction and the Built Environment (Building Services Engineering - HVAC) Building Services Engineering is the engineering of the internal environment and environmental impact of a building. It essentially brings buildings and structures to life.
The BTEC HND in Construction and the Built Environment (Building Services Engineering – Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC) programme aims to produce building services engineers who are well equipped to enter the industry in areas such as design and build, consultancy and facilities management.
The main aims of the HND in Construction and the Built Environment (Building Services Engineering – HVAC) are to:
- Prepare students for a range of technical, professional and management career disciplines in building services engineering by providing specialised studies which are directly relevant to individual occupations and professions in which students are currently working or in which they intend to seek employment.
- Enable students to make an immediate contribution in employment in the building services engineering sector.
- Provide students with flexibility, knowledge, skills, understanding and motivation as a basis for progression to graduate and postgraduate studies.
- Develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in working life.
HNDs are recognized by many higher educational providers as meeting the admission requirements to enter the final year of an undergraduate degree programme.