With the increasing concerns regarding climate change arising from increasing carbon dioxide levels and other adverse environmental impacts of industrial processes, there are widespread economic, ethical, legislative and social pressures on engineers to develop technologies and processes that have reduced carbon and
The aim of this unit is to introduce students to renewable energy resources and technologies, including current storage and generation technologies, and explore their advantages and limitations.
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to determine the optimum combination of renewable energy technologies and evaluate their efficiencies, describe how to conduct a cost–benefit analysis to determine the most viable option between renewable and conventional energy sources, and consider the relevant political, socio-economic and legal factors that influence the selection of appropriate energy technologies.
- This course is offered in 45 hours.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
The main aims of the HND in Electrical and Electronic Engineering are to:
- Prepare students for a range of technical, professional and management career disciplines in Electrical and Electronic Engineering by providing specialised studies which are directly relevant to individual occupations and professions in which students are currently working or in which they intend to seek employment.
- Enable students to make an immediate contribution in employment in the Electrical and Electronics sector.
- Provide students with flexibility, knowledge, skills, understanding and motivation as a basis for progression to graduate and postgraduate studies.
- Develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in working life.
Graduates of this HND Programme with a good grade profile will be able to access directly the final year of the University of Greenwich's BEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering Technology at SBCS, Champs Fleurs campus.