This unit aims to improve the overall study skills and to enhance writing skills.
- This course is offered in 45 contact hours.
Upon successful completion of this unit, learners will be able to:
- Develop effective strategies for studying
- Develop good time management strategies to become a successful student
- Find, select and note information in an efficient and critical way
- Develop sound research skills
- Develop academic writing skills for higher education
Understand the requirements of studying
- Why is it important to have a study strategy? Students will know the importance of having the right tools and taking responsibility for their own learning. Students will know how to manage their work, time and the study circumstances. They will also know how to manage their morale and understand the importance of being self motivated.
Know the different learning styles
Students will understand the different styles-activist, reflector, theorist, pragmatist. They will know the characteristic of each learner and will be able to identify their own style.
Know how to gather and evaluate information
Students will be able to gather information from online sources as well as the library. Students will know how to determine if sources are reliable and credible. Students will be able to use appropriate reading strategies for different types of texts and different tasks
Know the difference between primary and secondary sources.
Students will know the different types of secondary sources as well as the different types of research methods. Students will use the concepts of reliability, validity, objectivity as well practicality to determine the advantages and disadvantages of both quantitative /qualitative research methods.
Know how to take proper notes
- Students will know the importance of note-taking for their course of study. Students will be able to select important information for note taking. Students will be able to develop their own system of note taking and short hand.
Know what academic writing is
Students will be able to understand the differences between academic and other styles of writing. Students will be able to identify the characteristics of academic writing. Students will know the step by step process of writing-brain storming, creating an outline, adding support, editing, and proof reading. Students will know how to avoid plagiarism. Students will be able to organize their ideas using definition, categorization, description, chronology, cause and effect, comparing and contrasting, general to specific.
- Diploma in Applied Business Studies
Secure your foundation for a degree and career in Business, Human Resource Management and Marketing.
The Diploma in Applied Business Studies, awarded by SBCS Global Learning Institute Ltd, is a Pearson (UK) and ACTT approved programme, designed for CSEC / CXC graduates as an alternative to CAPE or 6th Form. It provides such learners with the opportunity to pursue a higher level qualification in a Business discipline, by enabling a seamless transfer from Secondary to Post-secondary education.
Graduates of this Diploma programme will progress directly to the ABE Level 5 Diploma in Business Management and then onto the final year of an undergraduate degree; BA (Hons) Business Management, BA (Hons) Business and Marketing, or BA (Hons) Business and HRM from the University of Sunderland.
- Short Business Courses
- Short Information Technology Courses
- ABE Level 4 Foundation Diploma in Business Management
- ABE Level 5 Diploma in Business Management
- BA (Hons) Business Management
- BA (Hons) Business and Marketing
- BA (Hons) Business and HRM
- Master of Business Administration
- Doctor of Business Administration