The tremendous possibilities of the techniques and processes developed by engineers can only be realised by great design. Design turns an idea into a useful artefact, the problem into a solution, or something ugly and inefficient into an elegant, desirable and cost effective everyday object. Without a sound understanding of the design process the engineer works in isolation without the links between theory and the needs of the end user.
The aim of this unit is to introduce students to the methodical steps that engineers use in creating functional products and processes; from a design brief to the work, and the stages involved in identifying and justifying a solution to a given engineering need. Among the topics included in this unit are: Gantt charts and critical path analysis,
stakeholder requirements, market analysis, design process management, modelling and prototyping, manufacturability, reliability life cycle, safety and risk, management, calculations, drawings and concepts and ergonomics.
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to prepare an engineering design specification that satisfies stakeholders’ requirements, implement best practice when analysing and evaluating possible design solutions, prepare a written technical design report, and present their finalised design to a customer or audience.
- This course is offered in 45 hours.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering (Electrical and Electronic Engineering)
The Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering (Electrical and Electronic Engineering) will develop students into highly trained, competent professionals, who are able to meet the demands of employers in the various engineering sectors.
This qualification also serves as the next step for students completing the SBCS Diploma in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Technology programme and are interested in pursuing the BEng (Hons) in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Technology).
Why choose the HND in Engineering (Electrical and Electronic Engineering)?
- Recognition: This is an Internationally recognized qualification, recognized in more than 70 countries worldwide.
- Final Year Entry: Graduates of this programme gain direct access to the final year of the University of Greenwich's B.Eng. in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Technology) programme offered at SBCS, Champs Fleurs campus.
- Career-focused: The curriculum was developed to meet the needs of the current marketplace after consultation with employers, students, and professional bodies.
- Practical hands-on training: Emphasis is placed on practical training and the application of the knowledge taught.
Why study Electrical and Electronic Engineering at SBCS?
- Instructors are certified, highly skilled and experienced practitioners who bring their knowledge and work experience to the classroom.
- Modern, fully equipped labs. You learn using the same equipment you will encounter in the field.
- Convenient class schedules. Work, Earn and Study at the same time. Classes are offered on a part-time basis, which allows working individuals to balance their work and educational needs.
Schedule & Fees
The next intake for this offering will be in October 2023.
For more details on fees and courses Download the Programme Brief
FEE AMOUNT NOTE SBCS Registration Fee
TT$850 each semester
Payable upon registration every semester (for 6 semesters) Tuition Fee
TT$2,200 (per 15 credit module)
TT$4,400 (per 30 credit module)
Total Tuition Fee over 2 years: TT$35,200 BTEC Registration and Annual Fees
Payable by: November, 2023
Please note: All information provided is subject to change without prior notice.