The Pearson BTEC Higher Nationals in Construction and The Built Environment is designed to develop students who are professional, self-reflecting individuals able to meet the demands of employers in the construction and the built environment sector. This qualification aims to widen access to higher education and enhance the career prospects of grandaunts.
The BTEC HND in Construction and the Built Environment (Civil Engineering) programme aims to produce civil engineers who are well equipped to enter the industry in areas such as Site Engineering, Structural Engineering, Civil Engineering and Transport Engineering.
This qualification also serves as the next step for students completing the SBCS Diploma in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Technology programme and are interested in pursuing the University of Greenwich's BSc (Hons) Engineering Management (Construction) and BSc (Hons) Occupational Safety, Health and Environment (Top-Up) degrees which are also offered at SBCS.
Why choose the HND in Construction and the Built Environment?
- Recognition: This is an Internationally recognized qualification, recognized in more than 70 countries worldwide.
- Final Year Entry: Graduates of this programme gain direct access to the final year of the University of Greenwich's B.Sc. (Hons) Engineering Management (Construction) degree or the University of Greenwich's B.Sc. (Hons) Occupational Safety, Health and Environment (Top-Up) degree.
- Career focused: Persons interested in Civil Engineering can start with this HND. The curriculum was developed to meet the needs of the current marketplace after consultation with employers, students, and professional bodies.
Why study Construction Engineering at SBCS?
- Instructors are certified, highly skilled and experienced practitioners who bring their knowledge and work experience to the classroom.
- Modern, fully equipped labs. You learn using the same equipment you will encounter in the field.
- Convenient class schedules. Work, Earn and Study at the same time. Classes are offered on a part-time basis, which allows working individuals to balance their work and educational needs.
Semester starts September, 2022.
- Alumni Special: Alumni and immediate family get 30% off registration fees for the first year of study i.e. three (3) semesters.
|SBCS Registration Fee|
Per semester: TT$850
|Payable upon registration every semester|
TT$2,200 (per 15 credit module)
TT$4,400 (per 30 credit module)
|Total Tuition Fees over 2 years= TT$35,200|
|BTEC Registration Fee|
£550 (one-time payment)
|Payable by: November, 2022|
Please note: All information provided is subject to change without prior notice.
Persons who have completed this HND can progress to one of the following:
- 6 semesters over 2.5 years
- Champs Fleurs
To be eligible for entry to the programme you should be 18 years and over and have at least one of the following:
- Diploma in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Technology from SBCS
- 2 CAPE or A-level subjects.
- An appropriate Technician Diploma from City & Guilds, UTT, COSTAATT, NEC or an equivalent qualification
- Relevant work experience (Resume and Job letter required)
The next intake for this offering will be in September, 2022. Registration is currently open.
For more details on fees and courses Download the Programme Brief
HOW TO REGISTER
Step 1 – Confirm your eligibility. Forward soft copies of the following to CITE@sbcs.edu.tt
- Original certificate and transcript or official transcript and completion letter from the awarding educational institution
- National ID or Passport
- For students with qualifications more than five years old, a resume listing positions held and key responsibilities will be also required.
Administration must confirm of your eligibility before you apply.
Step 2 – Complete the Online Programme Registration Form and click submit.
Once the form has been completed, please proceed to make your payment via any of the following options below.
Step 3 – Payment can be made via Direct deposit / Online bank transfer. Please click here for further instructions regarding the banking options available.
Please note that online bank transfers can be done from the following banking institutions – Republic Bank, Royal Bank, First Citizens Bank and Scotia Bank.
Step 4 –WI Pay (Credit Card) – If you wish to utilize this method, please forward an email to the Centre for Information Technology and Engineering indicating if you would be paying the full cost or whether you would like to access any of our payment plan options. Once this is confirmed, an invoice will then be forwarded via email.
Note: If an Acceptance Letter is required after registration, kindly note that such requests usually takes three (3) working days to process.
For further information, please send an email to the Centre for Information Technology and Engineering
The main aims of the HND in Construction and the Built Environment (Civil Engineering) programme are to:
- Prepare students for a range of technical, professional and management career disciplines in civil engineering by providing specialized studies which are directly relevant to individual occupations and professions in which students are currently working or in which they intend to seek employment.
- Enable students to make an immediate contribution in employment in the civil engineering sector.
- Provide students with flexibility, knowledge, skills, understanding and motivation as a basis for progression to graduate and postgraduate studies.
- Develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in working life.
- Construction Practice & Management
- Science and Materials
- Construction Technology
- Mathematics for Construction
- Construction Information (Drawing, Detailing, Specification)
- Principles of Structural Design
- Tendering & Procurement
- Individual Project
- Alternative Methods of Construction
- Geotechnics & Soil Mechanics
- Environmental Assessment & Monitoring
- Further Mathematics for Construction
- Advanced Structural Design
- Group Project