The understanding of more advanced mathematics is important within the civil engineering and building services engineering industries. Students must be introduced to additional topics that will be relevant to them as they progress to the next level of their studies; advancing their knowledge of mathematical theory gained in the Level 4 Unit 8: Mathematics for Construction.
The aim of this unit is to teach students to analyse and model civil engineering or building services engineering situations using mathematical techniques. Among the topics included in this unit are: number theory, complex numbers, matrix theory, linear equations, numerical integration, numerical differentiation, and graphical representations of curves for estimation within an engineering
context. Finally, students will expand their knowledge of calculus to discover how to model and solve problems using first and second order differential equations.
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to use applications of number theory in practical construction situations, solve systems of linear equations relevant to construction applications using matrix methods, approximate solutions of contextualised examples with graphical and numerical methods, and review models of construction systems using ordinary differential equations. As a result they will develop skills such as communication literacy, critical thinking,
analysis, reasoning and interpretation, which are crucial for gaining employment and developing academic competence.
- This course is offered in 45 hours.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Construction and the Built Environment (Building Services Engineering - HVAC)
The Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Construction and the Built Environment (Building Services Engineering – Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC)) programme is ideally suited for facility managers, office managers, building owners and anyone interested in Facilities Management.
This qualification also serves as the next step for students completing the SBCS Diploma in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Technology programme and are interested in pursuing the University of Greenwich's BSc (Hons) Engineering Management (Construction) and BSc (Hons) Occupational Safety, Health and Environment (Top-Up) degrees which are also offered at SBCS.
Why choose the HND in Construction and the Built Environment?
- Recognition: This is an Internationally recognized qualification, recognized in more than 70 countries worldwide.
- Final Year Entry: Graduates of this programme gain direct access to the final year of the University of Greenwich's B.Sc. (Hons) Engineering Management (Construction) degree or the University of Greenwich's B.Sc. (Hons) Occupational Safety, Health and Environment (Top-Up) degree.
- Career focused: Persons interested in Facilities Management can start with this HND. The curriculum was developed to meet the needs of the current marketplace after consultation with employers, students, and professional bodies.
- Practical hands-on training: Emphasis is placed on practical training and the application of the knowledge taught.
Why study Construction Engineering at SBCS?
- Instructors are certified, highly skilled and experienced practitioners who bring their knowledge and work experience to the classroom.
- Modern, fully equipped labs. You learn using the same equipment you will encounter in the field.
- Convenient class schedules. Work, Earn and Study at the same time. Classes are offered on a part-time basis, which allows working individuals to balance their work and educational needs.
Registration is currently OPEN. Semester starts October, 2018.
- Alumni Special: Alumni and immediate family get 30% off registration fees for the first year of study i.e. three (3) semesters.
- Group Plans: Get 25% off the registration fee for the first semester for (2) persons. Rate increase by 5% for each additional person.
FEE AMOUNT NOTE SBCS Registration Fee
First semester: TT$150
Remaining semesters: TT$850 each
Payable upon registration every semester Tuition Fee
TT$ 1,500 (Foundation Semester)
TT$2,200 (per 15 credit module)
TT$4,400 (per 30 credit module)
Total Tuition Fees over 2 years= TT$36,700 BTEC Registration Fee
£450 (one-time payment)
Payable by: November 30, 2018 BTEC Annual Fee £20 (per year) Payable each year from Year 2
Please note: All information provided is subject to change without prior notice.
Persons who have completed this HND can progress to one of the following: