The demands of modern living as well as the potential impact on the environment has meant that the building services engineer has become a key member of the building design team. The spaces that we occupy must be provided with ventilation to allow us to function and, where required, the addition of cooling helps to avoid the building overheating and maintains a comfortable environment for the
This unit will introduce students to the principles of the design and installation of these ventilation and air conditioning systems that are present in all of the buildings we use in everyday life. Subjects included in this unit are: the production of pre-design/design briefs, design data, cooling loads, total cooling loads, cooling plant capacity, building
overheating, peak summertime temperatures, sizing and specification of ventilation and air conditioning system components, and the commissioning, testing and handover procedures.
On successful completion of this unit students will understand the principles of ventilation and air conditioning systems.
- This course is offered in 45 hours.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Construction and the Built Environment (Building Services Engineering - HVAC)
The Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Construction and the Built Environment (Building Services Engineering – Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC)) programme is ideally suited for facility managers, office managers, building owners and anyone interested in Facilities Management.
This qualification also serves as the next step for students completing the SBCS Matriculation to HND (Engineering) programme and are interested in pursuing the University of Greenwich's BSc (Hons) Engineering Management (Construction) and BSc (Hons) Occupational Safety, Health and Environment (Top-Up) degrees which are also offered at SBCS.
Why choose the HND in Construction and the Built Environment?
- Recognition: This is an Internationally recognized qualification, recognized in more than 70 countries worldwide.
- Final Year Entry: Graduates of this programme gain direct access to the final year of the University of Greenwich's B.Sc. (Hons) Engineering Management (Construction) degree or the University of Greenwich's B.Sc. (Hons) Occupational Safety, Health and Environment (Top-Up) degree.
- Career focused: Persons interested in Facilities Management can start with this HND. The curriculum was developed to meet the needs of the current marketplace after consultation with employers, students, and professional bodies.
- Practical hands-on training: Emphasis is placed on practical training and the application of the knowledge taught.
Why study Construction Engineering at SBCS?
- Instructors are certified, highly skilled and experienced practitioners who bring their knowledge and work experience to the classroom.
- Modern, fully equipped labs. You learn using the same equipment you will encounter in the field.
- Convenient class schedules. Work, Earn and Study at the same time. Classes are offered on a part-time basis, which allows working individuals to balance their work and educational needs.
New semester begins September, 2018. Registration opens July 2018.
- Alumni Special: Alumni and immediate family get 30% off registration fees for the first year of study i.e. three (3) semesters.
- Group Plans: Get 25% off the registration fee for the first semester for (2) persons. Rate increase by 5% for each additional person.
FEE AMOUNT NOTE SBCS Registration Fee
First semester: TT$1,000
Remaining semesters: TT($850 each)
Payable upon registration every semester (6 semesters) Tuition Fee
TT$2,200 (per 15 credit module)
TT$4,400 (per 30 credit module)
Total Tuition Fees over 2 years= TT$35,200.00 BTEC Registration Fee
£450 (one-time payment)
Payable by: March 1st 2018 BTEC Annual Fee £20 (per year) Payable each year from Year 2
Please note: All information provided is subject to change without prior notice.
Persons who have completed this HND can progress to one of the following: