This unit provides a practical introduction to basic electronic devices and analogue and digital electronic principles. It provides learners with an opportunity to investigate the operation of diodes and transistors, two of the most important building blocks in electronic circuits. Learners will then go on to build and test circuits that make use of these devices and will consider the operation of integrated circuits such as the operational amplifier. Logic gates and flip-flops are also investigated both in practice and by using simple electronic principles, such as voltage gain or truth tables.
- 48 hours
On completing this course successfully learners will be able to:
1. Understand the function and operation of diodes and transistors
2. Understand the function and operation logic gates
3. Be able to build and test operational amplifier-based analogue circuits
4. Be able to build and test combinational and sequential logic circuits
- Diploma in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering (EEE) - Graduates from this programme can progress to the final year of the BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering Technology programme.
- Mechanical Engineering - Graduates from this programme can progress to the final year of a BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering programme.
- Construction and the Built Environment (Civil Engineering) - Graduates from this programme can progress to the BSc (Hons) Engineering Management (Construction) or BSc (Hons) Occupational Safety, Health and Environment (Top-Up).
The next intake for this offering will be in October 2023.
For more details on fees and courses Download the Programme Brief