On completion, the candidate should:
- know the features and benefits of ordinary and preference shares/common stock and preferred stock:
- capital gain
- pre-emptive rights
- right to vote
- be able to calculate the share dividend yield
- understand the risks associated with owning shares/stock:
- price risk
- liquidity risk
- issuer risk
- foreign exchange risk
- know the definition of a corporate action and the difference between mandatory, voluntary and mandatory with options
- know the different methods of quoting securities ratios
- understand the following terms:
- bonus/scrip/capitalisation issues
- rights issues/open offer
- stock splits/reverse stock splits
- dividend payments
- know the purpose and format of annual company meetings
- know the differences between the primary market and the secondary market
- understand the characteristics of depositary receipts:
- American depositary receipt
- global depositary receipt
- dividend payments
- how created/pre-release facility
- know the role of stock markets
- know the types and uses of the main global stock exchange indices
- know how shares are traded:
- multilateral trading facilities
- understand how settlement takes place:
- settlement cycles
- Introduction to Securities & Investment (International)
CISI’s International Introduction to Securities and Investment (IISI) provides a comprehensive introduction to the financial services industry with a specific focus on investments from a global perspective. As well as being a standalone qualification, this programme is the introductory unit of CISI’s Investment Operations Certificate (IOC).
Who should attend?
This qualification is intended for new entrants who are beginning their career in the financial services industry. It is also suited to new or experienced investors with an interest in acquiring a more detailed understanding of investment products and financial markets. The programme covers key financial principles and products including assets and markets, equities, bonds, derivatives, investment funds, retirement planning, loans, mortgages, life assurance and protection insurance.
What's more, through the partnership between CISI and ACCA, ACCA members and affiliates can join CISI without having to pay an initial membership joining fee (worth up to £50).
The next intake for the IISI - Introduction to Securities and Investment (International) "Online" course offering:
- May 9, 2023 - June 15, 2023 (Part-time) Tuesdays & Thursdays (5:30pm - 8:00pm)
- October 21, 2023 - November 19, 2023 (Saturdays & Sundays) 8:00am - 10:30am
Registration will officially commence on March 1, 2023 for the IISI course scheduled to start on May 9, 2023.
Registration deadline date for each period ends four (4) days before the start of the class sessions.
- The cost of the IISI course tuition is $3000.00. (payable to SBCS GLI)
- SBCS GLI Registration fee - $150.00 (payable to SBCS GLI)
- CISI Registration Fee - £40 (to be paid to CISI)
- CISI Exam Fee - £120.50 (to be paid to CISI)
Click here for payment options
Proof of payment must be submitted via the Online Payment Notification Form - click here
The Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment (CISI) is the leading professional body for those who work in, or aspire to work in, the investment sector, and they are passionately committed to enhancing knowledge, skills and integrity – the three pillars of professionalism at the heart of their Chartered body. Formed in 1992 by London Stock Exchange practitioners, CISI has a global community of more than 40,000 members in 121 countries.
Click here to see the content and structure of the CISI IISI programme.